Tranny went bye bye

montanass

Well, like the title says: I was driving my car home tonight after I went to a movie with the girl, I slowed down for some deer in the highway and started to accelerate at about 3/4 throttle, grabbed 3rd let out the clutch and BANG! after the boom the tranny started to grind quite badly, so i shut it off and tried to coast to a gas station that was about 1/4 mile in front of me. Didn't make it to the gas station, pulled off to the side of the highway. I started it back up and tried 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and reverse with no positive results. So I had my dad come and pick me up with the car trailer. So tomorow instead of spending the day on the lake, i'm gonna tear the tranny out and see what's goin' on under there... I'm hoping its something simple, but the fact that there are NO forward or reverse gears doesn't leave me feeling optimistic... :nonod:

Gotta love toys, they're good for a little fun, then they break :crackup:

no, it's a Muncie 4 speed :) I'll see exactly whats wrong with it soon and hopefully be able to decide if the tranny is something i wanna repair or bite the bullet and buy a T56... :dunno:

Bite that bullet hard :] 6 speed in a muscle car :] thats nice right there :]

pulled the tranny and bellhousing this morning, 90% sure the tranny is toast, gonna take the side cover off tomorow and see what kind of junk is floating around in there. The clutch looked very nice, but i also had a busted retainer clip on the clutch fork for the throwout bearing. I've been doing a little research on a t56, I'd have to buy a tranny from a joint called D&D Performance, they modify it so it would bolt directly to my bellhousing, and a new 26 spline clutch, and the driveshaft should be around 5" shorter than stock. The rear tranny crossmember would have to be modified and moved back. REally it doesn't sound all that difficult. Nothing that cant be done with a little time and some deep pockets :jester: I'll get some pics up of the carnage once i get into the case. :s