Truck's Giving Me Attitude

FireRescueSS

Thanks guys. Pretty sure it's not misfiring though, since I just lost two injectors, and I know how that's like. It only shakes when I first MOVE the truck, I've let it idle for 3 mins, didn't do anything, but it only shakes for the first 5 - 10 feet it moves after it's sat still for awhile. After that, it runs brand new, and I believe everyone nailed it, it's the wrong filter, cause it only does one quick knock, after it's sat for 12 - 15 hours.

Could it be possible that the highly rough treatment that truck goes through, she just can't handle it? When the pager goes off for a run, she goes from a cold start to a face paced, 3 mile run down the road, could be the AWD giving out?

27,000 miles, any maintaince to the front end maybe?

If you're going to be doing that kind of driving then my suggestion is to run as thin a lubricant as you possibly can, one with good 'cold flow'. In your case I *highly* recommend M1 0W-30 oil + M1 filter (change every 5000-miles), and flush out your Dexron-3 ATF and replace with PATC Raptor Blood (transmissioncenter.net) that will greatly help your tranny because Raptor Blood when cold pours like hot Dex-3, that will keep your clutches from dragging during gear changes :thumbs: . I would not do anything different with the fluids in the axles or transfer case.

I would change your driving habits, when an engine is stone cold it will not have the same redline, I would not run a cold engine beyond 4500-RPM until coolant temp is at least 180 and transmission temp has started to move off the bottom guage mark, and this takes a while; the easy way to prevent this cold-engine overrevving is to drive in tow/haul mode while cold (I do this myself). Also, in the first 60-seconds do not use more than 1/2-throttle, until the rings have reached final running temperature.

I understand every second potentially counts but we are only talking 3-miles here, at worst this will only delay your response time another 30-45 seconds.

Mr. P.

Could it be possible that the highly rough treatment that truck goes through, she just can't handle it? When the pager goes off for a run, she goes from a cold start to a face paced, 3 mile run down the road.........

Do what I do man.....as soon as the pager activates, I start her with the remote start. When I get outside in 30seconds to 1minute, I get in and go, at least she has had a quick moment to warm up. Don't lay on it like its the Daytona 500.....like Mr. P. said use tow/haul mode. You can get moving quick enough at 1/2 throttle and fly, you should still make the rig without killing your SSS. Be especially carefull in cold weather...a full throttle start on a cold motor could not only crack the block, but potentially break something internal. I know its hard sometimes, I have 1-1/2 miles to get to the fire house too.

couchonfire.gif

At this point, I am considering selling the SSS, seems like after 4 months, she can't handle the tasks I place on her, the RS Camaro has for over 2 years. Maybe I just picked up a lemon this time, either way, my strict Chevrolet loyality is starting to waiver.

Could it be possible that the highly rough treatment that truck goes through, she just can't handle it? When the pager goes off for a run, she goes from a cold start to a face paced, 3 mile run down the road,

don't haul ass when you go on a call :smash: i was in the fire service years ago. i know what its like going on a call, you can't do one bit of good IF YOUR DEAD...our department policy was if your found going over the posted speed limit you got a 30 day suspension. posted speed was 30 mph.

back on topic

pull all your plugs and check them. could of fouled one just enough to cause a hesitation off idle when the injectors went bad. and like stated above 1 can of SEAFOAM in the fuel tank and 2/3 in the intake and see how that works..

good luck

:seeya:

All this talk about knocking noise etc upon startup got me thinking about a letter I received in the mail the other day from a law firm regarding a class action lawsuit against GM. Did anyone else get one? It is in regards to "Knock, ping, or piston-slap" noises at startup on GM 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 truck engines, exactly what many of you are describing. GM knows about this problem, and has a "Secret Warrantee" that they have given to many cusomers if they complain about it. Anything from free or reduced cost extended warrantees, and other things I can't remember right now here at work. The lawsuit is because GM is not making the problem publicly known, and only taking care of people that complain even thought it could be a longer term issue.

Do what I do man.....as soon as the pager activates, I start her with the remote start. When I get outside in 30seconds to 1minute, I get in and go, at least she has had a quick moment to warm up. Don't lay on it like its the Daytona 500.....like Mr. P. said use tow/haul mode. You can get moving quick enough at 1/2 throttle and fly, you should still make the rig without killing your SSS. Be especially carefull in cold weather...a full throttle start on a cold motor could not only crack the block, but potentially break something internal. I know its hard sometimes, I have 1-1/2 miles to get to the fire house too.

couchonfire.gif

starting it and letting it run for 30 secs to 1 min isnt really doing anything. you have to drive it to really warm the truck up.

starting it and letting it run for 30 secs to 1 min isnt really doing anything. you have to drive it to really warm the truck up.

As far as I understand, that is all the time it gets to idle before he's in it and on the way to the station. Still, in that time, oil pressure has built, oil has been pushed through the motor, and the rings have at least begun to heat up. That right there might be the difference between a shot motor or not.

almost all of the LS1 and LS2 engines have a little piston slap when cold, that is completely normal. as a dealer, i have heard nothing of this lawsuit. and just to keep anyone from getting scared, piston slap when cold has no long term issues, its just noise before the pistons expand. but if for some strange reason you want to hear some real piston slap, get some mahles lol. :rolleyes: people used to ask me if i had a duramax in my SS :crackup:

but i completely agree with mr. p, you just cant beat your truck up when its completely cold. i dont care what you drive, thats eventually going to hurt anything.

At this point, I am considering selling the SSS, seems like after 4 months, she can't handle the tasks I place on her, the RS Camaro has for over 2 years. Maybe I just picked up a lemon this time, either way, my strict Chevrolet loyality is starting to waiver.

:nono: ok so your gonna give up on a truck that has been proven by many to take the punishment many of us throw at it........dump that crap Fram filter and see how it goes.......do you have an extended warranty on your truck, maybe its time to have the dealer check the noise out if it persists with a different filter.

You say that your Camaro RS with a 3800 in it took your abuse for 2 years...let me tell you that beating the sh*t out of it like you descibe has probably cut down that motors life expectancy at least 50%. At one point or another that motor probably will have an abrupt end to its life when you least expect it. :dunno:

Going balls out WOT on a cold engine is not smart.......I don't care what you drive, it will suffer in the long run.

:chevy:

QUOTE(rivierakid @ Jun 27 2007, 04:19 PM)

As far as I understand, that is all the time it gets to idle before he's in it and on the way to the station. Still, in that time, oil pressure has built, oil has been pushed through the motor, and the rings have at least begun to heat up. That right there might be the difference between a shot motor or not.

That 30seconds to 1minute is enough to get fluids moving so that i can respond to alarms..........better than driving it ice cold.........i still don't go over 1/2 throttle responding though.... :driving:

don't haul ass when you go on a call :smash: i was in the fire service years ago. i know what its like going on a call, you can't do one bit of good IF YOUR DEAD...our department policy was if your found going over the posted speed limit you got a 30 day suspension. posted speed was 30 mph.

agree.jpgIt is not worth having an accident or hitting a pedestrian to make first due, there's always second due, or better yet, grab your crap, get in your truck and respond to the scene directly........I always used to try to make first due my first two years or so in the FD......running stop signs and flying around......IT ISN'T WORTH IT! After hearing a story of a volunteer midwest somewhere that was responding to a bullsh*t alarm, t-boned a minivan and killed 2 kids, I calmed way down and saw the big picture. At the end of the day I am going home in one piece, not in a body bag. If I miss first due or better yet the fire totally, trust me when I say there will be more. Just my $0.02