Can the manual HVAC control panel be switched out the digital setup?

roadan

Yea good question bro. keep em coming! Originally I figured the BCM would need to be programmed for the CJ2 code

From, what I see, Programming for module replacement is not neceary. I know I swaped radio's between a 2006 2500hd base model and an uplevel radio, and it wouldn't work. I even Programmed them 2? one said Cal Error and the other said locked. :confused: , I think your Journey is valid, worth a try , jus to be the guy that did it. mine has climate controll, so your on your own. lol

P&S, I've herd from somebody that herd from some body that had a freind that said alot of vehicle run the same basic harness, so adding power window, seats, locks,etc...the wires are allready there. not sure? lol

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P&S, I've herd from somebody that herd from some body that had a freind that said alot of vehicle run the same basic harness, so adding power window, seats, locks,etc...the wires are allready there. not sure? lol

Lofl, I totally appreciate the sarcasm :yellow_loser:

And thanks for the encouragement. I'll update this post when I get more info - I think I'm just gonna order a new dash unit and blower module for starters (unless someones got some laying around cheap :)

With those hooked up I should be able to verify that I can control the speed of the fan, control where the air goes (floor, windshield, vents) and control the rear window defroster.... If all that works its pretty much smooth sailing from there unless you count tearing the dash and headliner apart to mount sensors hehe.

A few more general notes:

The manual unit does not use the door position signal for the recirc actuator. The actuator is the same as the automatic unit. So two wires need to be run from the actuator to the HVAC controller connectors to feed this signal. So if you feel recirc mode is important then they should be added...

The ambient light sensor in the dash also has two sunload sensors. The auto unit uses values from these guys to determine how much sun is entering the car and adjust for the additional heat created by the light... The thing is, these go to the BCM. So it appears the auto HVAC must get the values for these from the BCM data wire. I'm guessing without a BCM reflash these values won't be accessible (haven't looked to see if the sunload wires are even connected to my BCM.) Anyway, if the auto HVAC controller doesn't get values it will just use a default value and not adjust for light - so it will still operate just maybe not perfectly....

My plan is to wait until I do the steering wheel swap and have them flash for the auto temp controls at the same time....

I ordered a new hvac controller and blower motor controller from Rockauto.com to get the ball rolling :)

Well no one has told me to shut up yet so I will give a small update :)

Got the head unit and in-car temp sensor (the one that goes in headliner.) Still waiting on the blower control module. Pretty much finished researching the connectors I need to order and will probably do that tomorrow or possibly tonight. So I can wire up some of this stuff.

I tested the head unit today. Plugged it in and powered up the car and as other have stated it powers up no problem but no blower control. And as I stated earlier this was expected since the auto unit powers the blower motor with a different method. Thats about all anyone has done in the past. Well I took it out for a drive and confirmed that the unit indeed controls perfectly: the mode actuator (heater, vents, defrost), temp actuators, AC compressor, and rear defrost. From the wiring diagrams I expected this but wanted to mention it for the non-believers.

Just need to get the connectors and duct sensors so I can wire it up : ) I just need to figure out if I am going to run all new wires or route things the way the factory would have..... At this point this swap seems no more difficult to me than tearing an interior apart to do a car stereo install which non-electronics gurus do ALL the time.

Little update.

Got the connectors, pins, etc from mouser. Everything was pretty much exactly what I needed. The new connector for the auto controls was the correct style and pinout but the key was in the wrong place (I couldn't find the part # on mouser so I ordered what looked like the right one.) So I just cut the key off and it fits perfectly : )

So yesterday I installed the new blower control module. This guy only has 3 wires. Power, Ground, and Control. I found out that I could just take the power and ground wire from the old connector (that went to the resistors) and they slid right into the new connector (the pins are the same....)

I wired up the control signal to the blower motor, fired up the truck and have perfect fan speed control : )

At first it didn't seem like the blower control module would bolt in the same place as the old resistor/relay control. I dremeled one of the ears off that was hitting the HVAC box and it bolted up no problem.

Hopefully I can get the headliner sensor wired up today or tomorrow.

BTW, I ordered a ton of extra pins and shi from mouser.com and the total came to $35 with 2 day shipping......... Thats $35 for everything needed to wire it up except the wire....

Also - I have been taking lots of pics and will eventually update my Wiki with the info.... Just need some time.

Edited by m0ntecarloss (see edit history)

Looking forward to seeing the write-up. I wanted to do this just for fun, but according to a guy in this thread, the light bulbs aren't accessible in the manual setup. So, this is looking more like a nice repair/upgrade (to fix broken A/C control lights). Thanks again.

:thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing the write-up. I wanted to do this just for fun, but according to a guy in this thread, the light bulbs aren't accessible in the manual setup. So, this is looking more like a nice repair/upgrade (to fix broken A/C control lights). Thanks again.

The LEDs for the buttons and backlighting are soldered in. Doesn't matter if it's the manual or auto controller, still requires a bit of effort to change them out...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, as promised I started an info site on whats involved. I have A LOT to add yet but figured it'd be nice for those of you who are at work, bored, and need something to do besides what you are supposed to be doing and stuff..... I may try to put this into a forum post but honestly I find it really annoying - wiki's are so much easier/faster for this kind of thing :)

Anyway, if you can handle my smartass sarcasm here you go:

http://montecarlo.homedns.org:8080/wiki/in...erado_Auto_HVAC

• 3 months later...
Way to go man. I was going to attempt this as my truck sits in the garage M-F and is not my only mode of transport. About time someone with a little initiative tackled this to hopefully help othersm and make the doubters rethink themselves.

Thanks bro! I responded to your PM.

To let others know - I had some time recently to work on this a little bit. I now have the interior temp sensor connected, as well as the two upper duct sensors.

The unit is controlling the temps as expected! Now its not perfect cause there are a couple other sensors not installed yet. But last night sitting in the driveway, I let the truck run inside until the temp got to the point where the blower slowed down and the temp coming out of the vents wasn't hot anymore. Then I rolled down the window and put the interior temp sensor outside. The blower motor slowly started to spin faster and the duct temperatures rose.

Small update on my wiki - as I get more time I will update it more.