Stall Converter Help!

It doesnt lock up anymore and its making my tranny temps run extra hot. I put my snapon computer on it to see if it told me anything. It has a test that allows you to manually lock and unlock the torque converter. You turn on and off the TCC Solenoid. So I went driving above my tuned lockup speed of 50 and when I would hit lockup and unlock. It would lock up but is way looser than it should be. SO it acts like it isnt locking up enough like it used too. Could that be the Torque Converter? Or what do you think?

I think you need to save up for a tranny overhaul. Increased trans temps are significant sign of fried clutch packs, especially when you also say you can feel slippage. When clutch material fries like that it puts enough microscopic material into the fluid that it will block passages & cause hydraulic circuit problems. Has the PCM thrown any tranny-related service codes yet?

Mr. P.

Another thought -

Everything could be just fine, and your converter might be boiling the fluid at freeway speeds when unlocked - when my converter is in 3rd at 70mph my ATF temp will immediately shoot 30+ degrees. So you are right, it could just be a lockup problem.

I think you need to save up for a tranny overhaul. Increased trans temps are significant sign of fried clutch packs, especially when you also say you can feel slippage. When clutch material fries like that it puts enough microscopic material into the fluid that it will block passages & cause hydraulic circuit problems. Has the PCM thrown any tranny-related service codes yet?

Mr. P.

It runs about 200 degrees on the highway right now when the converter is not locking up. It has only been doing it for about a day and a half. So hopefully nothing but the converter is messed up. To play it safe when I chancge the converter I will get my tranny flushed and cleaned out. The PCM has not thrown a code yet.

Yeah ok 200 unlocked that's reasonable/expected; as long as it comes right back down to normal when locked then yeah it sounds like just a lockup problem of some kind.

I've been trying to get ahold of john to get a new converter coming. Just not really excited about doing the install. So aslong as it doesnt get above 200 its ok? Is it going to hurt to get on it or anything? Or do I need to drive it easily.