Better MPG

ctrow

I'm curious what everyone's opinion for getting better gas mileage. It's not a priority or anything but just something that's nice to have. Kind of like an added bonus.

In my truck I average around 14 MPG with combination highway and city. Besides taking some of the lead out of my foot, what are ways to improve MPG?

Here's what I have so far:

Electric fans

Lighter wheels

New spark plugs/wires

Bed cover

Reprogrammed Fuel Management

Any other ideas?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in no way a technical person, but I am getting 14.4 average mpg and I have not done any mods to my truck. It seems that is about the best you are going to get from this vehicle. If you have made those changes to your truck and you are still getting 14 mpg, then not much has changed. Like you said, I don't think if you purchased this truck that MPG is a concern. I know there was some post on here of some guy that was getting like 18 MPG with some serious tuning or something, but you have to consider the cost of the mods versus the cost of the MPG. In the end you might spend more money trying to get more MPG than you would of spend just pumping the "extra" fuel into your truck. Like I said, I don't have any real technical smarts when it come to modifying this truck other than what I have seen on this site, it is just an observation from other posts about MPG that suggest 14 mpg is about the best you can hope.

Well, if you noticed my sig, you see that I've had Lyndon reporgram my computer. I have the electric fans.

I have a homemade cold air induction. I put in a K&N factory replacement and then cut out the bottom of my air box. Fresh air comes through underneath the headlight.

I can't do a tonneau cover because I have to have easy access to carry my bike. Taking the tonneau on and off is too much trouble and not practical.

My next thing is then plug wires and maybe plugs. I've decided on Magnacores but should I also do plugs? Anyone else changed out their plugs and used different plug gaps?

Exhaust might be later on but not anytime in the future. I'd probably get some of the Centerline Tomahawk Series before exhaust.

I have a homemade cold air induction. I put in a K&N factory replacement and then cut out the bottom of my air box. Fresh air comes through underneath the headlight.

This MIGHT be the problem here -- I did this to my 5.3 Avalanche, and gas mileage and low-end power suffered. The engine needed more pedal to get around town and up to speed.

Redhawk over on ls1tech did this mod, and dyno'd it. He definitely lost power - I just don't remember how much right now.

In the winter here, when I let the truck warm up 15 minutes each day, I'm getting 14.5 a tank.

25 mile backroad commute to work - 15.5-16

Highway, cruise set at 68-70 - 17-17.5

If I'm driving all rowdy, I get about 15. For the most part I DO drive the truck hard.

As of right now, I'm 100% stock, with 4K on the clock...

the best way to make gas miliage better is to park it. a tank of gas will last a long time. time to break out the LPC's :D

you would not believe how true that is. a 1/4 of a tank as lasted me almost 2 monts :D i should drive it more than i do but i have so much stuff going on and the weather isn't helping matters much

An additional comment in regards to the "Reported" mileage. Most vehicles today have speedometers that will report higher than actual MPH. This is usually due to the speedo scalar.

The SS for instance has 275/55/20 which equates to a tire diameter of 31.91"

If you look in the PCM's factory cal you wil find a tire diameter of 31.25" That is .66" difference meaning that the speedo was reporting that you were travelling faster than actual.

This of course may make people happy on the corporate side, (better mileage reported, vehicle warranty ends sooner, safer speeds)

Something to keep in mind when figuring mileage ;)

I hate to sound hard core, but this is a "performance truck" not a Toyota 4 banger... I know its hard for me to keep my foot off the floor... It's just gotta be there :devil: If you want High MPG then buy a backup "Hybrid" that will get ya 50mpg for sure :cool:

Archived