Bummed again; destroyed front axle

Are you the first to break the front? I can't recall anyone else doing it. I know BigTex messed something up but not sure if it was the front end or the T-case.

I have replaced 3-4 mostly full size tahoe :banghead:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang P, that sucks right there. :(

Does the AWD share the front diff/pinion/U-joint with the 4WD Z71's/etc? I hope so, at least there would be a lot of spare parts in the salvage yards for it.

Yes it does. The problem is finding one in a 4.10:1 ratio. Most Z71s, Tahoe/Suburbans are 3.42 or 3.73.

Dang My uncle told me about it after you called the shop just tell me if you need ANY HELP we have a lift and all the tools.You just call me!!!!

Later, Tyler

Thanks - yeah I might take you up on your offer and have you come over and help me drop the trans onto the ground if it becomes apparent that it needs to come out.

I've got a couple things in the works, will update everyone in the next couple days as to what I will be doing with the front axle.

Mr. P.

I'm with Zippy on this one, my vote is a bad bearing. I had a rear pinion bearing go out on me in my '57 one time and, as I found out later, the telltale sign was the leaking pinion seal.

Okay guys, GTG this weekend is at P's house. Price of admission is a full tool box and a whole mess of floor jacks, bring your parts books and repair manuals too, who's in? :driving:

I'm with Zippy on this one, my vote is a bad bearing. I had a rear pinion bearing go out on me in my '57 one time and, as I found out later, the telltale sign was the leaking pinion seal.

Okay guys, GTG this weekend is at P's house. Price of admission is a full tool box and a whole mess of floor jacks, bring your parts books and repair manuals too, who's in? :driving:

:lol: Thanks but will have to postpone that, I'll be gone on Saturday, have to drop the kiddos off at Love Field to return them to CA. :( I am going to confront the local dealer service mgr tomorrow about the front axle and see what they are going to do about it. :mad:

OK I went and spoke with the service manager here at the local dealership - he instructed me to bring the truck in and they will evaluate the whole situation, and he would give the issue his personal attention. Bad news is that he is gone on vacation tomorrow for a week, so the appointment for the truck is Tuesday the 24th. :( I'm thinking now of dropping the trans in the meantime and getting the sprag issue fixed...

Mr. P.

Are you the first to break the front? I can't recall anyone else doing it. I know BigTex messed something up but not sure if it was the front end or the T-case.

Yeah, I messed something up in my transfer case once and think something minor may be wrong with the front diff too. I was turning left from a stop and had to get on it hard to merge with traffic. I lost rear traction in gravel and full torque hit the front wheels on the pavement with the wheels turned. Immediately I could feel and hear a grinding noise in the drivetrain, but it kept going. In a straight line, it was OK, but any turns would cause some severe grinding. I had the T-case rebuilt under warranty, but didn't get to ask the tech what went wrong.

Sorry about your bad luck.

• 1 month later...
OK I went and spoke with the service manager here at the local dealership - he instructed me to bring the truck in and they will evaluate the whole situation, and he would give the issue his personal attention. Bad news is that he is gone on vacation tomorrow for a week, so the appointment for the truck is Tuesday the 24th. :( I'm thinking now of dropping the trans in the meantime and getting the sprag issue fixed...

Mr. P.

I'm sure the trans is OK, are you saying if you grab the rear output yoke and its only smooth one way ?