07 classic SSS rear brakes

I was sitting outside the other day and I was looking at my SSS; the thought came can I change the rear drum brakes to disc. So basically the subject line says it all, but a couple of questions about it. 1) Do I want to even attempt this. 2) Is it possible? 3) What are the big disadvantages, if any? 4) Would it be insane expensive? Just a couple of things that I was thinking about, because I like the look of the disc brakes, and I think with the type of wheels that we have the drums look like s&*t. :puke:

Thanks,

-Lance

When I upgraded the front brakes I posted some pics of them and a the question was asked if I was going to swap out the drum for disc. Jonmalibuss did this and gave some info on it Click Here. So far I'm pleased with the performance of the upgraded fronts with the drum rear. Do disc brakes look better?, of course, but for the money I'll stick with the current setup.

When I upgraded the front brakes I posted some pics of them and a the question was asked if I was going to swap out the drum for disc. Jonmalibuss did this and gave some info on it Click Here. So far I'm pleased with the performance of the upgraded fronts with the drum rear. Do disc brakes look better?, of course, but for the money I'll stick with the current setup.

Thanks for the reply :cheers: , Your front brakes do look nice . I may just do the fronts and hang out for a while until I really get sick of the drums in the rear. When I bought my truck new they had the weights on the outside also did you ever get the dealer to switch it?

Thanks,

-Lance

I went to a local tire shop (America Tire) and asked how much it would be to rebalance the tires and it was going to be about $60 to do all 4 so I decided that I can live with the weights, lol. Plus the weights on the outside of the tire give a more true balance than the tape weights on the inside.

There is an easy/low budget step you can do to upgrade your braking performance. I recently replaced my front rotors with Power Slot Rotors. They are 13" stock size slotted replacement rotors (the price is even comparable to a factory replacement rotor). I also installed Raybestos Professional Grade Severe Duty pads as well, if you are looking for Hawk pads, they do not make them for '05+ SSS with RWD. My SS stops quicker with a firmer pedal and beter overall brake feel. The only down side is that when the Severe Duty pads get hot, they tend to make some noise.

If you are worried about the appearance of the rear drums, there is an easy way to dress them up. Buy some Duplicolor flat black Caliper Paint and paint the drums, that is what I did. (Sorry I don't have any pics)

Powerslot Rotor Part #s 8657PSL & 8657PSR

Good Luck with your choice :chevy:

i have done the rear disc conversion.... it is easy. you will need a fair ammount of mechanical experience, but if youve got that, its no biggie. the alumisport kit, that i used, is about $2400 average for all four. another option is simply to convert to stock pre-05 brakes. this would be fairly cheap and just as simple. im sure somebody who has done a big brake kit would sell their rears. then all you would need is some 04 backing plates from GM with park brake assembly and some brake lines. at first i was going to do this. let me know if you are serious about it, i will track down all necesarry part numbers for you

There is an easy/low budget step you can do to upgrade your braking performance. I recently replaced my front rotors with Power Slot Rotors. They are 13" stock size slotted replacement rotors (the price is even comparable to a factory replacement rotor). I also installed Raybestos Professional Grade Severe Duty pads as well, if you are looking for Hawk pads, they do not make them for '05+ SSS with RWD. My SS stops quicker with a firmer pedal and beter overall brake feel. The only down side is that when the Severe Duty pads get hot, they tend to make some noise.

If you are worried about the appearance of the rear drums, there is an easy way to dress them up. Buy some Duplicolor flat black Caliper Paint and paint the drums, that is what I did. (Sorry I don't have any pics)

Powerslot Rotor Part #s 8657PSL & 8657PSR

Good Luck with your choice :chevy:

Here are a few pics of what the rear drums look like painted........:chevy: