Question for those who don't drive SS much

northtexasSS

For those of you who don't drive your SS much(like 1-2 times week), have you had any problems due to the truck sitting for days at a time? I have a beater that I drive back and forth to work and only drive the SS casually when the weather is good. It was a daily driver until about 7 months ago, I have probably driven it only 500 miles since. My father told me I need to drive it more or it is going to "rott", so now it is in the back of my mind when I haven't driven for more than a couple days. Anyone have any problems with limited driving, or any suggestions to keep from having any problems?

I wouldnt see a problem with it sitting. Alot of people have extra cars that sit until the weekend and they look and run better than daily drivers because you not putting wear or road contaminants on it all the time. Just drive it on the weekends and you'll be just fine. Mine currently is a daily driver but we have a mustang convertible that sits until the weekend all the time and last summer my brother broke the tranny so it sat remainder of the year never started or anything and we didnt get it running till a couple weeks ago. Of course it needed a jump start but it started right up once it got a charge and nothing feels different or "rotted" the car looks just as good as it did last year when we put it up. Your dad is probably just jelous that you have a really nice truck and dont drive it around all the time like he would if it was his. Im sure others can chime in on this im just saying my opinion. Also maybe get a truck cover if you dont have one already to help keep it looking good and clean also it wouldnt hurt to put some fabric softner sheets in the truck to help deter mice and rats if you have that problem. We didnt but some people do.

Edited by NashSS (see edit history)

I might suggest using a car cover when it's not in use, and do the regular checks (tire pressure, oil levels, etc.) more frequently. I would also go by the time measurement for regular maintenance items, rather than mileage, you know, like 6 months or 6000 miles? If you wait to go by the mileage, it will be a long time between maintenance intervals.

Thanks guys, I figured I wouldn't have any problems but he had me second guessing myself. I keep all the lubricants changed and it stays in the garage, so it has a pretty good life. My beater got egged in the street last night, I must say it was nice not to really give a damn, had it been my truck I would have probably been on the news for going on a rampage.

It'll only "rot" when you let one sit for months, or years, at a time. If you drive it 1-2 times a week then you're fine. But, like Hank said, go by time on maintenence, not milage.

:withstupid: Driving it 1-2 times a week is hardly what I would consider "sitting"; the only precaution I would take is maintaining the battery charge as these trucks drain off the battery while parked, and when you do drive it make sure that the engine oil comes to FULL temperature and that takes at least a 10-minute drive.

Mr. P.

Thanks guys, I figured I wouldn't have any problems but he had me second guessing myself. I keep all the lubricants changed and it stays in the garage, so it has a pretty good life. My beater got egged in the street last night, I must say it was nice not to really give a damn, had it been my truck I would have probably been on the news for going on a rampage.

My SS has been my "weekend ride" since I got it in 2004 and I've never had any problem with anything "rotting". I usually only drove it on Sat & Sun. Since the beater's AC went out I've been driving it every day for the past 2 months and no difference then when it set for 5 days a week. I'm surprised the battery hasn't given me problems(knocking on wood). I've got over 62K miles on the stock battery and I have a small stereo system(900 watt amp & two 10 subs). :thumbs:

Edited by SSThunder (see edit history)

I will say if your battery gives you problems go for a Optima. Top of the line I had one in my s10 and the thing would crank all the time and hardly lost power even when sitting listening to the radio all day waxing it. In my ss the stock battery will hold up for a couple hours and then somewhat struggle when I go to start it so my thumbs go up to optima.

Damn!! :eek: What part of town do you live in?

Damn!! :eek: What part of town do you live in?

I actually live in a good part of town on Windsor, older neighborhood with older residents. The problem is I live on main street and there is alot of traffic and alot of high school kids that live in the area too. Just last week someone came through and took out about 5 BRICK mailboxes. I am moving soon though.

Edited by northtexasSS (see edit history)

I actually live in a good part of town on Windsor, older neighborhood with older residents. The problem is I live on main street and there is alot of traffic and alot of high school kids that live in the area too. Just last week someone came through and took out about 5 BRICK mailboxes. I am moving soon though.
Yeah, even the best neighborhoods get little punks tearing stuff up.

.......and it stays in the garage, so it has a pretty good life.

Your SS is garaged, you have nothing to worry about, besides you keep up on the fluids and drive it every weekend. Sounds like he is just pushing your buttons a little.......

:chevy:

• 2 weeks later...