First time racing the truck ?'s

EBc5Z06

So this Friday the local track is having a High school night and im planning on taking my truck out there as long as it doesnt rain. So I have a couple ?'s. From experience the track is going to have no prep at all and its probably going to be hot and humid so im not expecting outstanding times either. And the truck is going to have full weight along with close to a full tank of gas.

Should i adjust the tire pressure? All the tires? ( The track is only 5 miles away so i wont be driving home for long on low PSI)

I have to drive through the water box there is no going around it, what should i do?

Should i stall it up and adjust according to track prep? (1000, 1200, etc)

This is all i can think of right now so if there is something else I should do let me know, but im going to guess no better than 16.5 in the 1/4.

If your competly stock I would expect better than 16.5 definatly. Also since your awd dont bother with tire pressure because you wont have any tractions issues. Also driving through the water box wont matter but try to spin em out of it a little bit you might be surpised if they spin a bit. Also try to stall it up a bit it couldnt hurt. Hope this helps. Good luck and post some times

Assuming the truck is stock, I wouldn't change a thing, I would drive it as-is. You WANT a poor track surface, you'll kill everyone else with your AWD :thumbs: . I would try to do something about the water box, the stock goodyears are not happy when wet. For launch I would not try to get too clever with launch strategy and the factory converter, I would just stab it from an idle and work more on reading the tree and cutting a perfect light than anything else; the advantage of the AWD SSS is that it's super consistent, it's a bracket racer's dream so work on mastering the tree. Bone stock the truck should run about 15-flat. If you do choose to deflate the goodyears don't go lower than 20-22 lbs but I doubt it will be necessary/helpful. Try to arrive with just 1/4-tank of fuel, and temporarily leave the spare tire & trailer hitch home - those two things alone should pick you up another 0.15-secs.

Mr. P. :)

Assuming the truck is stock, I wouldn't change a thing, I would drive it as-is. You WANT a poor track surface, you'll kill everyone else with your AWD :thumbs: . I would try to do something about the water box, the stock goodyears are not happy when wet. For launch I would not try to get too clever with launch strategy and the factory converter, I would just stab it from an idle and work more on reading the tree and cutting a perfect light than anything else; the advantage of the AWD SSS is that it's super consistent, it's a bracket racer's dream so work on mastering the tree. Bone stock the truck should run about 15-flat. If you do choose to deflate the goodyears don't go lower than 20-22 lbs but I doubt it will be necessary/helpful. Try to arrive with just 1/4-tank of fuel, and temporarily leave the spare tire & trailer hitch home - those two things alone should pick you up another 0.15-secs.

Mr. P. :)

:withstupid: That's probably the best technique with a stock truck. Most tracks have a way to avoid the water box, especially on street nights as alot of cars will be on street tires. Just play with it, and have fun.

My opinions on racing your truck. Run the tire pressures at max pressure. There is no reason to run them low, you sure aren't going to spin them. Go around the water box if possible, you aren't going to be doing a burnout and wouldn't need to anyway. Raise the rpm to about 1200 and launch it from there. That should produce your best 60' time. Leave the shifter in drive unless you're good enough to manually shift it and not hit the rev limiter. If you can shift it, try to shift it at around 5700rpm (assuming your programming is still all stock). The most important of all, try to keep the engine cool. Don't sit there with it running in the staging lanes and just make every effort to keep the engine cool.

So this Friday the local track is having a High school night and im planning on taking my truck out there as long as it doesnt rain. So I have a couple ?'s. From experience the track is going to have no prep at all and its probably going to be hot and humid so im not expecting outstanding times either. And the truck is going to have full weight along with close to a full tank of gas.

Should i adjust the tire pressure? All the tires? ( The track is only 5 miles away so i wont be driving home for long on low PSI)

I have to drive through the water box there is no going around it, what should i do?

Should i stall it up and adjust according to track prep? (1000, 1200, etc)

This is all i can think of right now so if there is something else I should do let me know, but im going to guess no better than 16.5 in the 1/4.

your in WI how hot can it be? It's suppose to be low 80's here tomorrow and I'm also hitting the track for some runs. Like all say don't lower the tire pressure. A stock AWD SS won't have a problem with traction. I'd say you'll probably have a low 15's run. Later in the night you should do better as the temps go down. Post your time slips. :thumbs:

Yeah i just realized that that 16.5 is probably pretty slow and hopefull ill be quicker. The weather is suppose to be in the 70's with a chance of rain around midnight so hopefully the air will be good during the racing. There is no going around the water box, unless they moved it back from last year, but there are guard rails next to it and a bridge that you have to drive under. Later at night is when the track actually gets worse and so does the air. At the end of the track there is a little stream that goes under a little bridge and it gets really humid and the track gets really slippery.

As for WI getting hot, last year when i took my Formula to the track (bone stock A4 LS1) it was about 90* and about 90% humidity, my best run of the night was a 13.8 @ 101, which is really sad. But im excited to race my truck, ive been drag racing since i was 8 and its been an entire year since ive raced something.

Yeah i just realized that that 16.5 is probably pretty slow and hopefull ill be quicker. The weather is suppose to be in the 70's with a chance of rain around midnight so hopefully the air will be good during the racing. There is no going around the water box, unless they moved it back from last year, but there are guard rails next to it and a bridge that you have to drive under. Later at night is when the track actually gets worse and so does the air. At the end of the track there is a little stream that goes under a little bridge and it gets really humid and the track gets really slippery.

As for WI getting hot, last year when i took my Formula to the track (bone stock A4 LS1) it was about 90* and about 90% humidity, my best run of the night was a 13.8 @ 101, which is really sad. But im excited to race my truck, ive been drag racing since i was 8 and its been an entire year since ive raced something.

Hell, it could be pouring down rain and you shouldn't have traction problems with a stock awd SS.

Hell, it could be pouring down rain and you shouldn't have traction problems with a stock awd SS.

:withstupid: :withstupid: i've driven in a couple of tropical storms with some heavy ass rainfall before, and i've never had any problems with traction at all. it even launches very good in the rain, but thats not recommended. :jester: the awd handles rain with ease for sure. :thumbs: