Finally... !

So I went on an emailing spree, going after every seller on ebay that sold halo projector headlights on ebay for out trucks... I recieved responses from a few of the sellers so far, and one of them actually said I could use an HID conversion kit behind the projector (and that it was not a HALOGEN only setup, like I had questioned about). Apparently the reason it can't be done it because the HID bulbs are longer, and they can burn a hole in the projector lens... it has nothing to do with the actual Halos like I had thought... Sooooooooo when I finally get my truck back I'm going to be guinea-pigging it, I'll show HID before and after projector, and all that fun stuff. Is anybody out there using a 50W kit besides Mr. P? I'm looking for something kinda name-brand (PNs for sylvania stuff and a link to a good adapter harness would be sweeeet)...

I'll keep you all updated...

(linky to eBay item that is supposed to work "up to 4300k" : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...hlink:middle:us

the projectors dont have issues with the legnth of the bulbs, its the bulb type is an h1 bulb not a 9006 like our trucks use so it will work fine if youget the h1 style bulb.

If I had a black truck I would be more inclined to try that out. I have yet to see any that would even look remotely ok on the silver. Oh well, I like the stock lights but would really like the light pattern of projector lamps.

Good find - I'd run 'em :thumbs: As Chase said, as long as you get the right kind of re-based bulbs then fitment and bulb alignment (and hence resulting beam pattern) won't be an issue. I promise you, a few hundred bucks right now seems like a lot of money but trust me it is worth every penny, you won't regret paying for the upgrade after you've driven it for a little while. I got into this temporary loaner car and literally pulled off the road on the first night I had it thinking that the headlights were out because I am so used to the better HID lighting.

Mr. P.

i run 50 watts...

:withstupid: in my tahoe i can barely see anything, im like wtf are these the DRLs??

I know how you feel, I drive my dads truck everyonce in a while and I have to turn on the highs just to look like I have lights lol to me anyway because HIDs are 100x better than halagens.

Whatever happend to the $100 ebay HID kits???

From what I read, it seemed either the $100 kit guys had good luck or bad luck...So the verdict is???

The $100 kits are only 35w, I'm looking for 50w (more expensive).

The problem is with those headlights they wont take h1 or 9006, because the thickness of the bulb will not fit, unless you dremel the holes out. But the only thing that will fit is an h3c hid bulb but those are the worst thing ever you will not be able to see anything at night. Trust me Ive done that. Plus those headlights use a plastic lens which is crap in itsself, if you want true HID do a retrofit or send your headlights out for a company to do it for you.

Well I've been e-mailing the guy on ebay that I'm ready to buy from, and he tells me that his projector housing will fit an H1 HID conversion bulb... I'll see how it works out... And if it's super cheesy and I don't like it, I'll retrofit it with some nicer projectors or something... I'm not to worried about it, any step towards HID is a step in the right direction...

Corpserodeo666 -> What companies will do a retrofit for me?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to it and called the guys from customlightz.com, the person I talked to was very knowledgeable, I thought I knew what I wanted and he gave me some very good contradictions and suggestions... I'm waiting on a call back for some pricing and a turn-around quote, so we'll see what's up pretty soon... This is what I asked for:

E46 Projector (he recommended TSX because it's brighter and wider, E46 is only good bi-xenon, and I'm only going single)

E46/A4 shroud combo (looks nasty), with CCFL (blue spotted backlighting)

The cut-off mod (to put a nice blue line along the top of the projection)

The E46 or TSX clear lens swap (makes the projection much sharper and brighter)

I'll also have them perform the amber delete off the stock headlights

Custom Fab angel eye around the stock high beam (which I'll swap bulbs out to the D2S to match up)

I'm also going to get 2 sets of bulbs, a set of 4300k (seriously white), and a set of 14000k (so high up in the range it almost looks white again, crazyness...)

So we'll see what I get for pricing... I'm thinking about just getting one projector and leaving the stock reflector high-beam in, but maybe i'll go crazy and get two projectors... Hell, maybe I'll get both and sell the one I like less here....

Ok, got my call back, here's the damage:

E46/A4 shroud combo: $250 (<---what??!!?)

MDX shroud (looks very stock and sexy): $105

Custom CCFL (blue): $75

Upgraded sealant (no foggy lenses, ever): Free

'Cut-Off' Modification (blue line effect): $30

Clear lens swap (E46 / TSX): $50

Clear corner (amber delete): Free

Angel Eye Fab around stock reflector: $100

E46 Single Xenon Projector: $80 (they're practically throwing them away)

E46 Bi-Xenon Projector (with Bi-Xenon function): $130

TSX Projector (with SS35 lens): $100

TSX Projector (with original lens): $210

Labor: +$275

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All above prices listed as pairs!!!

So for what I'm thinking about doing, TSX'es with MDX shrouds: $875 for both headlights... OWCH!!!! Add another $300ish for dual projector setup (if I wanted it) and there's 1k just into lighting! All this doesn't include the ballasts/ignitor for the actual D2S HID setup... so like, another $250-$300 ish for that equipment...

Expensive, yes, but God-damn me if the freaking SUN isn't coming out of the front of my truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)