It's time

Bonj87

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want to keep the SS I say buy a beater. I think I paid a little over $2K for mine so it's paid for and insurance is around $50 per month so it's cheaper for me to drive that then the SS($500 a month in gas). Gas for the car should run me $200 per month + Insurance = $250 total cost. If you have to get rid of it then sell it. The dealers won't give you $hit because you owe so little on it. Good luck in what ever you decided. :cheers:

Buy a duramax. You can get power out of it and better mileage. All I hear about E85 is worse mileage and higher cost which shouldn't be. It is cheaper to make and still costs more for now.

He's trying to help out his economic situation. Duramax (new) is listing for around $8k (give or take a little) extra on top of the regular 3/4 ton truck chassis... which is more expensive to begin with.

Whatever you do, make sure you think it through. I wish I could get back some of the vehicles that I've sold over the years... just because it seemed to make sense at the time.

Make sure you consider the cost of the depreciation on your existing truck, and the cost it'll be to get back into another truck... I'm thinking it would cost about the same as buying an additional 'beater' as the new truck payment. Not to mention, you will still be disappointed with the fuel mileage of your truck vs. the mileage of an econo-box.

But, if it's one thing I've learned... once I get the bug, I can justify ANYTHING. I remember a friend of mine doing electrical work out of his 95 Chevy Astro... good mileage, plenty of storage, etc. But when he saw the new Duramax Dually, he HAD to have it. Suddenly, he couldn't figure out HOW he ever made it this far in life without it. Traded his $3500 Astro van in on a $50k Dually... Then, let it sit in the driveway after about 6 months of driving it -- bought another Astro Van. Made WAY more sense economically -- Insurance, Gas, etc.

Dont do it...My dad tried the same thing. He wanted the nbs for fuel economy...He has never seen more than 18.5 in his 5.3...He drives 900 miles at a time when he drives on the highway...I can get the same mileage in my SSS as my dad gets in his 5.3...

(btw: this isnt a fact that my dad cant get good mileage in anything because his porsche cayenne turbo is rated at 18 highway and he gets 19.5-20.)