To Mod or Not To Mod

Hey guys... i wanna see if i can get yalls opinion...

my truck now has about 65k miles on it... but i still want to do some stuff to it. so far all ive done is hotchkis sways, new bilstein shocks, a zippy tune, and a flowmaster HD muffler dumped. I only get enough money here and there to spend on mods, so what i'm worried about is putting more power into the truck, and having something blow like the tranny. i've been reading all these stories on here of guys trannies blowing up, and i just cant afford for that to happen right now. i'm really wanting to look at either a shiftkit + TBTC or some pacesetters/highflow exhaust, but i dunno if i just want to keep the truck as it is now and see how long it lasts, or ride the hell out of it with mods and just fix things as they come along.

anyway... i love my truck.. but if i'm going to have some problems in the next 30k miles i might just wanna start saving up for the newest biggest and greatest SS in a few years.

any tips/opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I say go for more mods. The TBTC and shift kit is a great "seat of the pants" mod because you can REALLY feel the difference. I would think your trans would be fine. I've got many mod and my trans is still holding up(knock on wood). The only trans mods I have are the TBTC & zippy shift kit with servos.

my .02 cents worth is there seems to be this misconception that installing a shift kit shortens the life of your transmisison. if installed properly and subsequently tuned for it really it should help the trans last longer. a firmer shift means less clutch slippage which prolongs the life of the trans itself. i would definately get the shift kit and have your truck tuned and maybe a tbtc if you can swing it. lt headers and a nice free flowing exhaust would also be great. what i have seen is DO NOT have all your TM taken out via a custom tune without installing a shift kit.

Edited by rivierakid (see edit history)