Minnesota

KJT13

Structural failure. There is a security camera that caught it on tape on cnn.com. Obviously there was no explosion powerful enough to take that bridge down. I think something failed on it. They were doing construction/resurfacing on it when it collapsed. That may play a role in the investigation.

Wasnt there another bridge that collapsed a decade or two ago where the river bottom eroded the soil around the footings away? Then the bridge just fell? I'm sure we will find out it was some overlooked engineering spec or something missed on one of the last inspections.

Thats a bad deal and I hope no one on here was effected and I will keep all involved in my prayers.

I wonder if the bridge was already damaged and still in use while construction is going on if they mayy have hit the resonance failure point of the bridge.

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

That is real close to home. I have driven over that bridge numerous times. It is kind of freaky, in my town they are building a new bridge as we speak right next to the old bridge that they will be tearing down because it is not concidered "safe" anymore, but they still are letting people drive over it.

This is definatly a sad story :tear:

This is something you could never think of happening. I drove under the bridge about 2 hours before it fell, my mom drove over it 1 hour before, and one of my cousins was on the bridge when it fell!!!. She is OK but sore. I haven't talk to her yet, but if you study the pictures she was in a red Volvo station wagon on part of the bridge that's at a 45* incline.

This is the probably the busiest bridge in the state it well effect us for years to come. more importantly is the people that lost there life. We are thinking about you all.

As for the cause it will take some time for all the facts to come out. It sounds like Structural issues but there wont be just one reason for the collapse. There will be many contributing factors that are involved.

This is something you could never think of happening. I drove under the bridge about 2 hours before it fell, my mom drove over it 1 hour before, and one of my cousins was on the bridge when it fell!!!. She is OK but sore. I haven't talk to her yet, but if you study the pictures she was in a red Volvo station wagon on part of the bridge that's at a 45* incline.

This is the probably the busiest bridge in the state it well effect us for years to come. more importantly is the people that lost there life. We are thinking about you all.

As for the cause it will take some time for all the facts to come out. It sounds like Structural issues but there wont be just one reason for the collapse. There will be many contributing factors that are involved.

sorry to hear that about your cousin. glad to hear she's ok though. probably gonna be traumatized everytime she goes over a bridge for quite some time though.

Don't know if they have an answer yet. There was talk about possible stress damage a few years ago, plus it was currently "under construction".

Better answer above from Black2003SS.

The news released a report that there were documented structural deficiencies with the bridge since 1990, and that piecemeal patchwork has been done on it ever since :nono: So in other words they were just doing quick fixes instead of addressing the problems.

This gets me thinking about how safe NY bridges are.......the news also stated that 1 out of every 3 bridges statewide in NY have some kind of deficiencies......... :eek:

there are a ton of birges out there that get stamped with the label "structurally defiecient". the problem lies in the funding available to solve the problem. bridges are so expensive to build and most states have so many (including right here in the ocean state of RI), that it takes years after theyve already been identified as deficient to approve, fund and begin construction of such projects. the permitting and approval process alone can take years regardless of funding. im not a bridge expert, but civil engineering is my profession.

The news released a report that there were documented structural deficiencies with the bridge since 1990, and that piecemeal patchwork has been done on it ever since :nono: So in other words they were just doing quick fixes instead of addressing the problems.

This gets me thinking about how safe NY bridges are.......the news also stated that 1 out of every 3 bridges statewide in NY have some kind of deficiencies......... :eek:

Out of 6200 bridges in Texas they say that 3% are deficient. Not too bad, but we don't have the elements that you have up north. Snow, road salt, ect. Plus, most of ours are concrete supports.

there are a ton of birges out there that get stamped with the label "structurally defiecient". the problem lies in the funding available to solve the problem. bridges are so expensive to build and most states have so many (including right here in the ocean state of RI), that it takes years after theyve already been identified as deficient to approve, fund and begin construction of such projects. the permitting and approval process alone can take years regardless of funding. im not a bridge expert, but civil engineering is my profession.
Beurocratic red tape is about par. Seems that they would put a higher priority on some thing like this considering the consequences.

Out of 6200 bridges in Texas they say that 3% are deficient. Not too bad, but we don't have the elements that you have up north. Snow, road salt, ect. Plus, most of ours are concrete supports.

i heard on the radio the other day that 21% of bridges in wisconsin aren't up to standards. really makes me feel like not driving in milwaukee ever again. that's pretty much all it is, high rise bridges all over the city..