new spark plugs

decided to throw some new plugs in the truck as i passed the 65k mark. i definitely did not expect to spend 2 hours with this project. i went with bosch platinum +4's, ive heard good things about bosch's engine products so why not.

can anyone tell me if its normal or not to hear a little clicking here and there after the first start up?? :confused:

hopefully i didnt mess anything up..

Hard to tell with your description of clicking. I will tell you that I have exhaust ticking from my headers though. If you have a misfire, you will get a code pronto and you should be able to feel it in the idle and when you drive. If your plugs are not tight enough, you will find out quickly :happysad:

Did you do wires along with your new plugs?

no wires yet, is there any major gain from upgrading the wires?

the click im hearing is similiar to an exhaust click. i guess its possible thats what im hearing although i dont remember hearing it much before. what will happen if the plugs are too loose? (id be more concerned that i left them a little tight) the only one i had trouble getting tightened down was passenger side, nearest the cab. (not sure what cylinder # that is)

BTW congrats on the featured truck spot. well deserved.

What you may be hearing is spark knock. Did you get the correct heat range of plug? Most people run NGK TR55's, not bosch. Are these the plugs with the four electrodes? Are the plugs properly gapped? Did you check them? What other mods do you have? Is the ticking at idle? On accel? Decel? Is it constant? Intermitent? Also, the clicking sound could be a spark plug wire arcing to the frame/engine...not good. Are you sure you got all the plug wires firmly on the plugs and out of the way of the exhaust manifolds/headers? P.S. It takes me almost an hour to change plugs, but I take my time...stripping a spark plug thread is not cool.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Yes, these are the 4 electrode plugs and they are gapless. Not too familiar with plugs but apparently they are gapped at the factory?? I'm trusting the guy at autozone gave me the right plugs. I watched him look up my engine and made sure he had the 6.0. As far as the install goes, it took me a while because i took my time. got all the wires back on firmly and double checked everything before i put the engine covers back on. i drove the truck all day yesterday and i didnt hear any more clicking. it seems to be running fine and even a little cleaner, certainly no worse than before i put them in. i checked it again this morning and i cant hear/see anything abnormal.

FYI the clicking i heard was at start-up only and not constant. similiar to an exhaust click so im guessing thats what it was. no engine mods besides the new plugs. i finally got my volant intake and that will be going in after the truck goes to the dealer on tuesday to take care of an EVAP problem. if theres one thing i cant stand, its staring at a service engine light while i drive

Yes, these are the 4 electrode plugs and they are gapless. Not too familiar with plugs but apparently they are gapped at the factory?? I'm trusting the guy at autozone gave me the right plugs. I watched him look up my engine and made sure he had the 6.0. As far as the install goes, it took me a while because i took my time. got all the wires back on firmly and double checked everything before i put the engine covers back on. i drove the truck all day yesterday and i didnt hear any more clicking. it seems to be running fine and even a little cleaner, certainly no worse than before i put them in. i checked it again this morning and i cant hear/see anything abnormal.

FYI the clicking i heard was at start-up only and not constant. similiar to an exhaust click so im guessing thats what it was. no engine mods besides the new plugs. i finally got my volant intake and that will be going in after the truck goes to the dealer on tuesday to take care of an EVAP problem. if theres one thing i cant stand, its staring at a service engine light while i drive

I had the same issue, but not after the install of new plugs. It could normally be a few things. Oil starved lifter or rocker. Exhaust Manifold Leak, check for black deposits around your manifold.

You can check my post in Forced Induction about the ticking/clicking issue.

i thought I heard bosch plugs were a no no for our trucks?

Bosch does not fair well with GM vehicles at all...Alot of platinum tips, or irridium plugs foul out easier than a traditional AC plug. However, I am thinking if I go with something other than AC Delco from work, I will try the E3 plugs...

I have changed my plugs out twice, the stock plugs were some NGK platinums, forget the actual lettering/numbering on them. Switched to NGK tr55's and did not like them. I just put in new plugs yesterday as my NGK's were looking a little whitish due to some issues I am having with my truck running lean. Went with a set of Autolite Platinums and so far so good but will be checking them in a little to see how they look.

Well now im a little nervous. Ive got about 3,000 miles on the bosch plugs and they seem to be ok. Not sure if its a coincidence or not, but my engine seems to idle a little rougher. It has also been "choking" a bit every now and again at idle where it bogs down from 600-650 to about 500 rpm. I dont know if im just being anal or this is a result of the new plugs or if its just normal. any ideas??? I just got my volant intake in as well, and maybe im hearing it run a little differently because of that?

Thanks for any input.

Hugo