Time for Pads, Rears only?

hugobossvp

Im told that i need rear pads. Supposedly, the 03 SS set up relys heavily on the rears and will need to have pads replaced well before the fronts. I would have assumed the opposite. Am i getting the right info.??? Im told the fronts wont need to be done until 100k?? Im at 65k and my mechanic buddy told me to shave the rotors in the rear and do pads. If hes right, what pads should i be looking at??? Thanks for the input.

on my 05 with the "gm upgraded brake system" with drums in the rear i have to change them out as much as the front ones man drums can be expensive list price for each drum is 272.00, shoe pads are about 220 bucks do the math and dude let me tell you doin the brakes is a bummer!

on my 05 with the "gm upgraded brake system" with drums in the rear i have to change them out as much as the front ones man drums can be expensive list price for each drum is 272.00, shoe pads are about 220 bucks do the math and dude let me tell you doin the brakes is a bummer!

why not just turn your drums?

Im told that i need rear pads. Supposedly, the 03 SS set up relys heavily on the rears and will need to have pads replaced well before the fronts. I would have assumed the opposite. Am i getting the right info.??? Im told the fronts wont need to be done until 100k?? Im at 65k and my mechanic buddy told me to shave the rotors in the rear and do pads. If hes right, what pads should i be looking at??? Thanks for the input.

That doesn't sound right to me. I would assume just like almost every car/truck I have owned previously that the fronts almost always have to be done once, twice, or even maybe three times before doing the rears. What your mechanic buddy is saying is that the brake system on our trucks rely more on the rear brakes then the fronts? I doubt that. Currently, I'm right at about 50K miles and I still haven't changed a pad on my truck although I would think the time is coming soon. Changing brakes on vehicles varies ALOT from driver to driver. Some people are very hard on their brakes while some aren't. It just depends. If I were you I would get under there and look for myself. If you see that the pads are running thin, change them out.

As for turning the rotors, your supposed to turn them at every brake change to have a smooth surface for the pad, but I have gone without doing that before without any problems so long as the metal rivets from the pads haven't reaked havoc on the rotors.

This sounds right on par with what i've heard from numerous silverado owners. The 4wheel disc system in these trucks is great for pad life. My neighbor just changed brakes for the first time on his '02 ecsb with 140k on it and the fronts still had about 40% left in them but the backs needed replaced so he did all 4.

Im with krambo, i recommend hawk pads (ones in the green box) for LT's.

good to hear that im getting the right info. i definitely dont drive the truck hard and im sure i have some life left in them, but ill probably change them out anyway to keep them fresh. thanks for the info!

This is not a new issue by any means - call Hawk and ask them for their recommendation, I would not hesitate to fit a set of "road race" or "light autocross" pads/shoes on the truck as the factory GM ones are not that great. Bendix also has a very good ceramic/kevlar pad called AXXIS, I am pretty sure is sold by Stoptech, I would see if those are available in the Silverado application.

AFA brake bias, it depends specifically on the weight distribution of the truck but for the most part the front brakes should be working far harder than the rears. I could see the CC trucks having a closer brake balance than a RC or EC but still I would think that if you are wearing the rears down that fast then some real braking performance could be gained by improving the fronts and making them pull more energy out of the vehicle.

Mr. P.

to be a little more specific about what i was told is that the system was designed to rely more heavily on the rear discs. this was news to me because i always thought that you replaced rear pads every 2 times you replace the front.

then again, it would make sense to design the system to rely more heavily on the rears in order to get more life out of the front end. i dunno, maybe a phone call to whichever pad manufacturer i go with will clue me in. although im sure they'll tell me to order new pads, rotors, calipers for the whole truck and that theirs are the best.

well with the alumasports i had on for about 15k miles the pads were already gone , i foudn it wierd as hell that the front and rears were about as equally gone. all the trucks i work on usually have the fronts go first .

i ended up with some ceramic pads now on the alumasports. but ill be changing the fronts to the 6 pistons this week i think.

• 2 weeks later...