Weird Bug

BOB47

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snipe hunting is an old tradition that I first learned of when I was about 11 and in Boy Scouts. On our first overnight campout we were told by the older boys and the leaders that we were going on a snipe hunt. Snipes, we were told are very elusive birds that only come out at night. They hang out in fields. You take a burlap or canvas bag and a flashlight out in the field and walk around yelling "here, Snipe--here,Snipe" they will get curious and run into the bag.

There's a million variations on this theme. Essentially it's a joke you play on the younger kids. Sort of like sending the new kids to other camps to find a bacon stretcher or a lefthanded smoke shifter or a sky hook.

Don't forget the left handed screwdriver... :crackup: ... and step on that ugly bug! (Hope it's not endangered). :)

Snipe hunting is an old tradition that I first learned of when I was about 11 and in Boy Scouts. On our first overnight campout we were told by the older boys and the leaders that we were going on a snipe hunt. Snipes, we were told are very elusive birds that only come out at night. They hang out in fields. You take a burlap or canvas bag and a flashlight out in the field and walk around yelling "here, Snipe--here,Snipe" they will get curious and run into the bag.

There's a million variations on this theme. Essentially it's a joke you play on the younger kids. Sort of like sending the new kids to other camps to find a bacon stretcher or a lefthanded smoke shifter or a sky hook.

you definitely don't want to get a right handed smoke shift. that will do us no good at all. make sure it's the LEFT handed smoke shifter.

Sort of like sending the new kids to other camps to find a bacon stretcher or a lefthanded smoke shifter or a sky hook.

Don't forget the left handed screwdriver... :crackup: ... and step on that ugly bug! (Hope it's not endangered). :)

you definitely don't want to get a right handed smoke shift. that will do us no good at all. make sure it's the LEFT handed smoke shifter.

Now I posted a website a while back that sold that stuff..lol

No mayfly there boss. You found a species of an Ichneumon wasp. Google it if you wish :thumbs:

I have a hobby that many do not know about. I breed, raise and sell Saturniidae moths. I have been facinated with insects since I was a kid and even thought about going to college to study them until I found the job market is crap and the salary wouldn't be able to fuel my need for fast trucks :jester:

This wasp is a pest to me in that they lay eggs on my Saturniidae larva which kills them in time. I consider them a pest however many feel that they are a blessing in that they breed off of caterpillars that kill farmers crops.

1109ichneumon1sm.jpg

No mayfly there boss. You found a species of an Ichneumon wasp. Google it if you wish :thumbs:

I have a hobby that many do not know about. I breed, raise and sell Saturniidae moths. I have been facinated with insects since I was a kid and even thought about going to college to study them until I found the job market is crap and the salary wouldn't be able to fuel my need for fast trucks :jester:

This wasp is a pest to me in that they lay eggs on my Saturniidae larva which kills them in time. I consider them a pest however many feel that they are a blessing in that they breed off of caterpillars that kill farmers crops.

1109ichneumon1sm.jpg

ourbradybunch_1160444523_996.jpg

Do they sting?