Transmission Experts

In the last two weeks I had a zippy shift kit and TBTC installed. When I picked it up, it didn't feel quite right, but I figured it was just because of the mods. I couldn't point to anything I knew was wrong. Tranny temps went from 150ish to 200 immediately. Then I installed a radix. After installing the radix and driving it for less than 30 miles or so, the tranny began slipping. I probably shouldn't have done all the mods at once, but live and learn. The tranny is now slipping in drive. It seems to be OK when I shift manually through 1, 2 and 3.

It is going back to the shop on Monday (being towed in). My questions is, could the problem be a misinstalled shift kit, or does it sound like a different unrelated problem? I checked the fluid and it was down one quart. I was told that if it was the shift kit, it would not have shifted immediately. Also, after the install, I was expecting much harder shifts, but that was not the case at all. That said, I also installed the original pcm, so I thought the softer shifts were due to the TM. Any thoughts so that I can speak intelligently with the installer (they are a high performance shop - not a transmission shop). Frankly, they seem honest and have been helpful in the past, so its not that I don't trust them. I just like to do my own homework. Thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW - Good news is that the raidx seems ok now. I need a better tune, it is definitely running lean after 4000plus rpms, but no more codes popping. Waiting for new tune from Wheatley.

Isn't it a huge no-no to use the stock tune with the radix? as far as the tranny goes, I think a mis-installed shift kit could definately give you those problems... check to make sure you didn't blow a seal somewhere and that all the servos and correctly in place...

Isn't it a huge no-no to use the stock tune with the radix? as far as the tranny goes, I think a mis-installed shift kit could definately give you those problems... check to make sure you didn't blow a seal somewhere and that all the servos and correctly in place...

To clarify, I used the stock tune when I picked it up after the shift kit install (pre-radix). After the radix install, I used the radix tune. I hope your right and that is all it is. If I blew the tranny, would it still shift manually?

Yes sounds like something in the shift kit was not installed correctly. Facts for you - a TBTC will raise the trans temps 20-degrees on the stock ATF cooler; and when properly installed the Zippy shift kit will kick you in the kidneys on a part-throttle 1-2 shift even on a stock tune although the PCM will try to tame it down after a couple hundred miles. Given what you've said I think you've got no choice but to pull the tranny, tear it down for inspection and correct whatever problem is found. And I am sure you will need all new clutches because it sounds like one set of clutches was not being completely released while the truck was going into the next gear. :shakehead: Don't drive it in this condition anymore, or else you will be replacing a lot more than just a few hundred dollars in clutches.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Yes sounds like something in the shift kit was not installed correctly. Facts for you - a TBTC will raise the trans temps 20-degrees on the stock ATF cooler; and when properly installed the Zippy shift kit will kick you in the kidneys on a part-throttle 1-2 shift even on a stock tune although the PCM will try to tame it down after a couple hundred miles. Given what you've said I think you've got no choice but to pull the tranny, tear it down for inspection and correct whatever problem is found. And I am sure you will need all new clutches because it sounds like one set of clutches was not being completely released while the truck was going into the next gear. :shakehead: Don't drive it in this condition anymore, or else you will be replacing a lot more than just a few hundred dollars in clutches.

Mr. P.

Thank you

Well for what it's worth I totally know the feeling, I screwed-up my 4L60 the first time I installed servos (I didn't get the cover snap-ring in correctly) and that let to the trans being removed and rebuilt. So I completely understand the frustration.

- Mr. P.

Well for what it's worth I totally know the feeling, I screwed-up my 4L60 the first time I installed servos (I didn't get the cover snap-ring in correctly) and that let to the trans being removed and rebuilt. So I completely understand the frustration.

- Mr. P.

Now I am just trying to make it into an expensive positive. Thank goodness Turboberserker moved 10 minutes from me. He is helping me through this process or I would be lost.

Now I am just trying to make it into an expensive positive. Thank goodness Turboberserker moved 10 minutes from me. He is helping me through this process or I would be lost.

Oh really?! Tell him his SSS buddies miss him! Eric still has his truck right?

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

if it is shifting Manuel ok ,you may be taking off in wrong gear in the other positions .check your MLP switch for correct alignment ,if that's ok pull pan and make sure ALL the solo are plugged in correctly.One of them could have been knocked off when the pan was installed or not plugged in all the way or the a-b solo may be plug in wrong sequence?