White LED Driving Lights?

ok well I'm wanting to switch my DRL's to some white LED's because I really like the way they look and I would get them off of autolumination.com but I also checked superbrightleds.com and they say not to use them in GM DRL's? Anyone know the reasoning behind this or is it just bs because I really want to do this but they are making me kinda worried. Please chime in guys.

they work but burn out very quickly some thing about the electrical current not being continuously 12V it pulses

If this is the case I wonder if there is anyway that you could put a small capacitor on it much like you would use for an amp so you would have a constant voltage.

I had a set from superbrightleds the ones with 12 forward facing and 6 rear facing and they lasted about a month then the leds started going out one at a time or in clusters of three If any one knows the solution to this problem let us know

I'm sure the easiest solution would be to build a new harness for the DRLs that is run off of relays. Of course that's entirely useless and way not needed, but if you ever decided to go for HID DRLs, then the harness would be a great compliment for that kit...

The only problems I have with LED bulbs is that they're so F'n ugly!!! I love using them behind lenses that aren't clear, but in an application like the DRLs (or even brake lights or turn signals), I just think they're way to hideous...

Just use PIAA's extreme white's (3157's). That's what I use, and they haven't burnt out in almost two years. They will lose some color over time, but they last along time. And they are the closest you can get to HID running lights. Nothing else compairs!! Not even LED's. Here's a pic. The lights in the pic are about 1 year old, so they have lost just alittle of the blue. Brand new ones look kick a$$.

Terry

DSC00297.jpg

Just use PIAA's extreme white's (3157's). That's what I use, and they haven't burnt out in almost two years. They will lose some color over time, but they last along time. And they are the closest you can get to HID running lights. Nothing else compairs!! Not even LED's. Here's a pic. The lights in the pic are about 1 year old, so they have lost just alittle of the blue. Brand new ones look kick a$$.

Terry

DSC00297.jpg

those look great. i really hate being able to see the blue though whenever they arent on.

Forgot to add one thing. The LED lights only shine forward, they are not a bulb style. So you will not get the reflection off the chrome inside the light.

Well, they either shine straight ahead or out to the side or both... The only ones that you don't get the reflection from are the ones that shine straight ahead. The kind that fire out towards the sides, you really only get forward illumination from the reflection...

Terry

DSC00297.jpg

I recently installed the same bulbs for the DRL's since I wanted something whiter than stock, since I changed out all the other lights (well almost all) to LED's, but I'm still not sure about the slight blue that they give off. They definitely match the color of the LED's much better, but still don't look right in my opinion. I'll try to snap some pics of them when I get a chance.

Edited by 2006SilverSS (see edit history)

I like it, now I wanna do it.

And what's wrong with seeing the blue when their not lit, I like the blue :D

You got #'s to use for the other lights as well?

Just call Stylin concepts or go to PIAA.com direct. Or even do a search for (PIAA 3157 "Extreme White" wedge bulbs). Not sure of the part #, but I know they are 3157 wedge bulb (late model). I have tried all different types of bulbs, so I think the PIAA's are the best of them all. I even have all PIAA interior bulbs too, and they look great! Just don't get the ones from your local auto store or the blue rap's. Those are a waste of money. They are blue, but they don't have the wattage to shine very well.

Terry