New Suburban vs. Old Suburban

CaliChevyV8

My dad has a 2002 Suburban with the 8.1 in it. He thinks since they don't make that big of an engine anymore that he won't have as much power for towin our weekend warrior if he buys a new burb.

I told him I would give him the HP comparison of the 8.1 vs the new 6.0. Anyone know what the 8.1's HP is?

I also told him to give me some cash and I would make a new one faster than he needs it, that'd be a fun modding project :D

Vortec 8100 V8 (325 hp at 4200 rpm and 447 ft·lbf of torque at 3200 rpm).

Vortec 6000 V8 (335 hp at 5200 rpm and 375 ft·lbf of torque at 4000 rpm).

this is from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Suburban

see also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortec

Edited by Mung Man (see edit history)

Towing isn't all about HP... Those 8.1L motors are called the 'workhorse' engine for a reason. They're serious torque monsters, which comes into play BIG TIME when towing...

Don't the new suburbans have a diesel option? Or at least something bigger than the 6.0L?

Towing isn't all about HP... Those 8.1L motors are called the 'workhorse' engine for a reason. They're serious torque monsters, which comes into play BIG TIME when towing...

Don't the new suburbans have a diesel option? Or at least something bigger than the 6.0L?

They don't have a diesel suburban, and the 6.0 is the biggest they come with.

Just sell him on getting a Duramax diesel crew cab

I've tried, He doesn't want a truck. Likes to keep his surfboards in the suburban and golf clubs in the back.

Anyone know how much it would take to get the 6.0 up to around 450TQ? What kind of mods gain alot of torque?

Towing with the SS vs a 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 is night and day. I tow a 7500 travel trailer and I never knew how marginal the 6.0 and smaller trans (especially the trans) were until I got the 'burb. Towing isn't work anymore!