graveyard shift

xlr82sxs

my boss called me this afternoon while i was on the jobsite and needs me to work the graveyard shift thursday, friday and tuesday. i've never worked graveyard hours so i'm trying to stay awake as late as possible tonight to get a lot of sleep tomorrow before the time comes..

anyone have any suggestions on how to get used to these hours, even though it's only for the next few days?

i'm installing a cctv system in a grocery store. they're remodeling and adding more security, but won't allow any of us do any of the work until after their store is closed for the day. :cry:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no advise here but i was offered a job at peterbilt and i would work graveyards but i wouldn't mind it here in vegas,less summer sun the better, but i know it wouldn't be hard to stay awake working on trucks thats for sure. i could probably work 20 hours and only 4 hours off sleep if i needed to.

i dunno man. im used to it i guess. i go to bed every night between 1 and 2 am. not cause of work or anything, just dont get tired, but i also usually wake up late and take naps. maybe you should go out partying the night before, go to sleep late, wake up late, and go to work???

I've been working Midnights for almost 8 years now!!! I don't know what to tell you, other than go for a brisk walk. Or do what I do, I play on the computer, and when I get sick of that, I go for a ride.

Lets see .... Tonights shift, two under arrest for Poss. Crack Cocaine, and three under arrest for B&E Nighttime - Felony ... Needless to say, I have a S***load of paperwork ahead of me!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

The shift I work is called the "hoot" shift. It's from 3AM - 8AM. My advice is to stay busy. That always works for me. The more down time you have, the more tired you get. Oh ya, a couple of Red Bulls wont hurt, sugar free of course! :thumbs:

sleep well during the day, drink coffee or an energy drink while working........keep busy and play a radio or CD player while working, the time will go faster than you think, especially if you are working with a partner and have someone to keep you company :chevy:

I find it easy to stay awake at night, except I work full time on the grave yard shift, so I'm used to it. I say try your best to get through it, it's gonna take weeks/months to rearrange your body's internal clock, and it's hard on the body to change patterns like this, and remember that it's easier for the human body/mind to accept a longer day(more hours) then a short one(less hours).

Radio, with fast paced type of music, and having people keeping you company. Energy drinks and everything is cool, just remember, you will crash eventually.

Hmmmmmmmm ... Now what is that saying about Firemen and making a living???? :jester: J/K :jester:

:eek:

Anyways, I work for a security company also, occasionally we have a job that we're on that requires night shifts..........we ALWAYS schedule 2 guys, 1 tech and a helper, if we can't get a helper, we send 2 techs. Usually when the guys work the occasional night shift, the landlord/owner/tenannt will give us a set of keys for access(mostly businesses/commercial buildings, and new construction require night shifts). We don't want to only have 1 guy on the job god forbid something happens to him and he is alone.............

My best freind does shift work..days for a month then nights etc.... what he does is when he goes from days to nights he will stay up the entire night and most of the dya. he has to be at work at 8 so he takes a nap from 3-7 and that refreshes him enough to stay up and work but allows him to go to bed when he gets homw.

My best freind does shift work..days for a month then nights etc.... what he does is when he goes from days to nights he will stay up the entire night and most of the dya. he has to be at work at 8 so he takes a nap from 3-7 and that refreshes him enough to stay up and work but allows him to go to bed when he gets homw.

I've tried that concept but it just doesn't work for me personally. I think the only thing that would help me at this point would be getting laid before trying to sleep, lol :lol:.