graveyard shift

xlr82sxs

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you the best of luck, but take it from an experienced, hardened, and grave yard shift worker (always!!) just grit your teeth, and get it over with, nothing is going to help too much, since you're only going to be doing it for a couple of shifts.

i think i'm mostly dreading it because of the guy i'll be working with, not the hours. it seems when i work with him, i do most of the work and he spends most of his time thinking about what needs to be done, instead of actually DOING what needs to be done. lol

When I was a (mainframe) computer operator, we used to change shifts WEEKLY! That was hard to get used to. But working in a computer room where it was always cold helped keep you awake. I also seemed to be able to get by on less sleep when I was younger.

i think i'm mostly dreading it because of the guy i'll be working with, not the hours. it seems when i work with him, i do most of the work and he spends most of his time thinking about what needs to be done, instead of actually DOING what needs to be done. lol

Annoying co-worker will keep you fustrated, and you'll stay up, unless you kill them.

Before you do anything stupid, ask yourself this important question: "Will a jury of my peers convict me?"

haha.

You'll be so annoyed by your co-worker I don't think you'll feel sleepy lol :crackup::jester:

i'm thinking the same thing.. i usually don't have a hard time staying awake when i'm doing something constructive. it just adds to it that i'll be working with this particular guy.

haha.

i'm thinking the same thing.. i usually don't have a hard time staying awake when i'm doing something constructive. it just adds to it that i'll be working with this particular guy.

...Best thing you can do is just suck it up and do it. Never mind what that other joker is doing. You'll get your job done and the hard work will be rewarded at some point.

I work a 9-5 M through F. 7 hour work day. However, I was asked by a friend to help him at his night club ( a large, well-known L.A. Club), so now I'm managing their security force, which means I have to be there every Friday and Saturday night (from 8 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.), and for any special events (concerts, etc.). It took three or four weekends for me to get accustomed to the hours, and I make sure I stretch Saturday and Sunday sleep until just before noon. That seemed to help a lot.

When i used to do that sort of stuff for a living, working 18 hour shifts was a joke. Now, in my mid-30's, it is more difficult--but not insurmountable. I'd venture to say that your dread is worse than the actual hours you will work... Hang in there!

Its not that bad. I've worked nights forand on 10 years and full time nights for 16 months now.My shift is from 6-3 a.m on most nights and others I have to get my job at the dispatch hall by 4:30. Occasionally I work what we call the Hoot shift 3-8 a.m. Nights are cooler and more laid back. I sleep about 5 or 6 hours a day. The pay in the shift differential is well worth it!!!

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

ever hear of a stun gun? :devil:

I have been working nights for about 8 years now. There is not really anything you can do to get use to it. The body has a natural alarm that wants to be up during daylight hours, and sleep at night. My shifts are random, 5:30pm till 8am, 7pm-6am, sometimes if I get lucky, I get a 6pm-til midnight. Just go with the flow, moderate temperature the warmer it is you may fall asleep. For sure if you feel tired try to get some fresh air, and a short walk in that may help.