swirls, spider webs, etc

ok this was all done by hand because i dont have a PC.

i bought a zaino kit, based on the reviews ive read here.. it was a toss up between zaino and der shiney stuff. I chose zaino.

i clayed the front half of the truck, washed it and applied Zaino Z2 with ZFX.

i let it sit for an hour, and removed it.

applied z6, removed

z2, z6, z2, z6

at the end, the paint was smooth, and in the garage, without the powerful lights, it looked fantastic, in the bright light, i could still see swirl marks.

today, i washed the truck, didnt clay the tailgate, and applied Z5 with a hand buffer.. the cheap kind. i then removed it. i did this a few times, and while it appears a bit shinier, and felt smoother, looking at the sun's reflection, i dont see any reduction in spiderwebs or swirls.

Now, im sure im going to hear i need to get a PC, and use this wax, or that polish etc. i welcome them, cuz im at a loss, and yes im an extreme amateur with this level of detailing. Right now my tailgate and bed sides look like that avalanche that dylan did a few weeks ago.

i next tried 3M fine polishing compound on the tailgate... same effect.. swirls spiders, just a bit shinier.

now i cant afford to drive to CA to see Dylan, but Id like to see if anyone in IL is experienced with detailing the paint and (for lack of a better term) repairing the swirls, etc.. i will pay for such a service, but if i just choose any shop, how do i know they're reputable?

anyone in , or around IL wanna help a brutha out? Dylan? wanna fly to chicago ? LOL... anyone have a PC they want to part with cheap? :P

pics will be coming soon, i have to wait for sunlight cuz i dont have a reg camera, i have to use my phone camera.

Use some 3M swirl remover, and a low rpm buffer. That's what I did and looks great. I swear by 3M products. First, I used some non-grit 3M rubbing compund, then 3M swirl remover, and then 3M polish, and this is what I got. It took all the swirls out.

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00241-1.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

Yeah... unfortunately theres not much correction to be done by hand in most cases... the human body doesn't have the ability to move in the way or at the speed of a machine and you need that speed and consistency to effectively work a polish and get rid of swirls.

If you're not interested in taking it on yourself just sign up on Autopia.org and put up a request for a detailer in your area. There are TONS of talented individuals on that site who detail professionally that would have no problem getting you the results you're looking for.

Also, Zaino isn't exactly the most effective scratch/swirl removing product out there... to be honest its not designed for that... its protective and shine qualities are awesome, but it needs a clear surface to work on and it won't polish a surface as well as the Poorboys SSR line, Adams S&HR, or Mezerna... especially w/o a machine.

Good luck to you... maybe someday if I'm filthy rich I'll open a mobile detailing business that works out of a G4 jet or something :jester:

My dad details on the side and we both are die hard zaino fans but like dylan said you have to buff it out to remove the swirls and light scratches first. If you can't find anyone else he will probably do it.Last I heard he was getting 125 for a buff,polish and detail.If you want I can get some pics of his Humble bee so you can see his work.One thing I don't like about dodge though is the amount of orange peel in the factory paint though.let me know what's up.

Use some 3M swirl remover, and a low rpm buffer. That's what I did and looks great. I swear by 3M products. First, I used some non-grit 3M rubbing compund, then 3M swirl remover, and then 3M polish, and this is what I got. It took all the swirls out.

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00241-1.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

Thats a nice looking truck man, kudos!

mequires soft wash mit from auto zone, zaino car wash, and white cannon cotton towels for drying.

The reason I ask is because the best way to get rid of swirls is to prevent them. Granted your truck will probably need a good buff job, but after that is done you need to look into refining your washing technique.

My recommendations:

1. Get a 100% Sheep skin mitt (found and walmart)

2. Get some some nice mirco-fiber towels (for OTC, vroom from target are nice. I like the orange ones)

3. Use the two bucket method. One bucket for soap and water, and the other bucket filled with just water for rinsing the mit after each time it touches the truck. Using grit guards in the buckets is another way to decrease scratching. You can get them at Danase.com. Danase also has some great micro-fiber products.

There is no way to TOTALLY prevent swirls but using the above methods should help decrease them.