This Cant Be True

So I have my old alpine HU sitting in my room from when I traded my 00. I wanted to put the hu with ipod hookup into the SS. I go to bestbuy and the guy says, umm well you cant run an aftermarket HU with the BOSE system unless you want us to bypass the speakers individually and that still might not work. Anyways, he told me to bypass the speakers, with the new harness and this and that it was gonna be like $350 or something, ( not including HU) . I'm not experienced in the audio world and this just didnt sound right. PLEASE tell me this isnt true.

The model # of my Alpine is 9852. I bought it 2years ago and its really a great HU but if it dosent work on the SS then I have no use for it. Please let me know what the deal is.

They make a wiring harness that will plug up to your alpine deck and maintain your bose speakers, i got it on crutchfield for 100 dollars. I used it a month ago when i installed my pioneer and it worked great. Here is the info of the crutchfield site.

Fits Metra VT-GMOS-04

GM Class II Data bus Interface In Stock

9 people say:

Lets you install an aftermarket receiver in late model GM vehicles without losing the door chime and audible safety warnings, the Bose amplified speakers, or the ONSTAR system • RCA inputs

Edited by 05TEXASSS (see edit history)

Hey the only catch is you have to have front and rear rca's outputs on the alpine, so as long as you do than it will work for you and is simple to install. Hope that helps you.

can you still use the wheel controls? anyone done this? how does it sound over the stock hu?

Chase, I also bought a adapter called a pac/swi and it integrates your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit. i installed mine and it is a pita but it works awesome and i have had no problems. I got it on crutchfield also for 69.99.

Ummm... I'm running an Alpine W200 w/ a stock bose system and my steering wheel controls... other than the Volume buttons being a little sensitive you'd never know it was an aftermarket system... Onstar works fine too.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

Chevy SS, I'm on the east coast so thats a little far.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have checked the prices on the parts I need..Harness- $100, Antenna adapter- $15 , harness for the steering wheel controls to work- $69.99, then the dash kit- $15. I paid $150 for the HU and the install was free then another $15 for the ipod hookup. I honestly cant see myself paying $200 for just the accessories then paying another $60 for the install(ballpark). I'm probably going to keep the stock HU and just get an ipod adapter to run off the cigarette lighter. Sucks I'm not going to be able to use my alpine so I guess I'm going to sell it. Also, if I remove my stock HU, I Will not be able to use XM radio (which I am looking into) Thanks again

I just put a pioneer premier DEH-p590lB in mine and it had the ipod hookup and i bought the PAC interface for the steering wheel controls and everything works GREAT! I LOVE IT! and the interface for the aftermarket HU was like 100 bucks

Chevy SS, I'm on the east coast so thats a little far.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have checked the prices on the parts I need..Harness- $100, Antenna adapter- $15 , harness for the steering wheel controls to work- $69.99, then the dash kit- $15. I paid $150 for the HU and the install was free then another $15 for the ipod hookup. I honestly cant see myself paying $200 for just the accessories then paying another $60 for the install(ballpark). I'm probably going to keep the stock HU and just get an ipod adapter to run off the cigarette lighter. Sucks I'm not going to be able to use my alpine so I guess I'm going to sell it. Also, if I remove my stock HU, I Will not be able to use XM radio (which I am looking into) Thanks again

look into the USA Spec iPod interface. comes with an adapter for the wiring harness in the back of the stock radio and plays through the radio without the interference of the cig powered ones. sounds great. about 100 at crutchfield i think, but i got mine for around 70 at circuit city. tucking everything into the dash was the hardest part of the install and took about 45 min while i was at a laundromat.

Ok, so for those of you who have done an aftermarket HU with your BOSE system how much did it cost you for the harness, the steering wheel control and an ipod connection? I would not be doing this install myself because of the lack of experience with audio so tack on another $50-60 ballpark

When i did mine it cost me 120 for the harness that has the bose and the onstar. I havent gotten the steering wheel control harness but i saw it at frys for like 60 and they have it on jpcustoms. And my ipod connector was 30 bucks but i have the pioneer D3 indash so its just a cable not an interface. Then you also have to get the dash peice which can be from like 10 to 25 dollars i dont remember what mine was i had to get the double din one. Its alot of money to do it and honestly im really not happy with the wiring harness the quality of all the ones ive seen so far is just extremely bad, when i use onstar it makes poping noises and i just really hate the harness. I knew someone that had the PAC harness and it did the same thing with the noises mines made by Axxes. other then that im real happy with it, i just need to get the steering wheel control harness.

Edited by bluemxblaster04 (see edit history)

C'mon, don't chicken out. This kind of stereo install is not super difficult. Most of the kits that have been listed come with decent instructions and if you buy from Crutchfield they have tech support that almost does the install for you if you hold the phone close enough to the dashboard. Our dashboards are super simple to take apart and these trucks were made to upgrade. Install the Alpine, you will be disappointed if you don't and constantly reminded everytime you get into the truck. Even $200 in accessories is a good deal for a nice install. And hey, you've got us, we can guide you through.