Doing Brakes?

cadillacbob

What a p.i.a. ...LOL

Just a little advice...

Tools...

Make sure you have a 1/2" drive breaker bar to loosen the #55 torx bolts/caliper pins....and the 18 mm bolts that attach the caliper mount brackets on the front and 15mm bolts on the rear, life will be easier...I broke a "snap on" 3/8 drive ratchet like it was nothin...1/2 drive saved me...

just my $.02....

I had no problem changing the rears...it took like 10 minutes a wheel. The fronts are the PITA. I got the wheels off and the calipers off in less than 10 minutes, but I COULD NOT GET THE GOD DAM MOTHER F'KING PIECE OF SH!T rotor off the hub. I hit it with a 12lb sledge hammer and it would not come off. Am I missing a trick to getting the rotor off? Its like it was frozen or rusted on there. I got so frustrated after an hour of playing with it, I just put the dam caliper back on and have been driving it since. I mean I really hit the f#cker hard. Sorry...I'm really pissed about it. I can isntall a supercharger and change the rear brakes, but cant change simple front rotors. Any advice?

I had no problem changing the rears...it took like 10 minutes a wheel. The fronts are the PITA. I got the wheels off and the calipers off in less than 10 minutes, but I COULD NOT GET THE GOD DAM MOTHER F'KING PIECE OF SH!T rotor off the hub. I hit it with a 12lb sledge hammer and it would not come off. Am I missing a trick to getting the rotor off? Its like it was frozen or rusted on there. I got so frustrated after an hour of playing with it, I just put the dam caliper back on and have been driving it since. I mean I really hit the f#cker hard. Sorry...I'm really pissed about it. I can isntall a supercharger and change the rear brakes, but cant change simple front rotors. Any advice?

I am not sure about the models with rear disc, but my front rotors actually have a small torx head bolt that holds the rotor to the hub.......hope this helps. :chevy:

I swear I looked over them real good and did not see any torx bit bolt to remove. We had jsut got done doing my friends 325i bmw brakes and he had the torx bit to hold his rotors on. We were looking for it, didnt see it. Anyways, we will tackle it again this coming weekend.

They shouldn't be bolted on, but make sure the little retainers around the lug nuts are not there. There should be 2. If no fastener are present, then it's rusted on to the hub. You can use the hammer to hit it on the hub area between the studs, but it probably too much for that. The other trick is to use a torch (not to cut it off :jester:) to heat up the hub areaso that it will expand faster than the hub, thus breaking the rust bond. You can apply some grease between the two surfaces to keep this from happening again.