Dylan - Interior Detailing Question

Just finished this today, actually.

*Disclaimer* I am in no way a detailer, just a wanna-be :D

Anyway, as far as surfaces, vinyl, plastic, upholstery(headliner), leather

When I clean my leather I first vacuum the area throughly with a brush attachment. then I moisten the microfiber and wipe down the area and scrub lightly on some of the less then prettier areas. If the spot is stubborn I use a brush, (boars hair prefer) although a interior nylon brush can be used just be careful with suede...Also let the cleaner soak if its that pain of an ass. Now make sure that its a quality cleaner I am assuming your using zaino so thats covered with that. I then let it all dry and proceed to conditioning the leather. Apply the conditioner with a microfiber and let it set in for a a minute then wipe off excess/buff it out. leather should be nice and smooth.

Interior plastics, very similar to to above without conditioning. I prefer the meguiars quick detailer interior spray. It like a mist and has a soft cleaning solution that smells good and does not make everything shiny. (DO NOT USE ARMOR ALL it contains alcohol and it ends up drying the dash) Anyways with stubborn stains I do the same, saturate the area and try to buff it out, if not then try the brush. Now obviously if its a flimsy piece do not press on it to break it. To break out the dust i like to use the california car duster in the interior.

Glass, I like stoners. Wipe off then turn the microfiber over to a dry side and do a final wipe should come out perfect.

Headliner is similiar to upholstery/cloth seats. However the fibers are short and it can get scuffed. So with a brush gently hit the area with a cleaner.

Might as well mention carpet. Vacuum the area throughly, then mist the floor with carpet cleaner and go at it with a stiff nylon brush. Then hit it again at the stubborn areas and then give it a final vacuum over.

Again I am no expert and I just got back from the UM game (aggie :yellow_loser: ) so I am a bit tired.

If anybody would add their interior secrets/methods please do so.

I am currently stumped as how to get out these small little white specks that are on the steering wheel.

Glass.....I use Stoner Invisible Glass, buff with a clean microfiber towel

Leather......I vacuum the surface and use Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather wipes......let it sit for 1 hour then buff with a clean microfiber towel

Trim/Plastics/Vinyl.....I use Meguiars Gold Class Protectant wipes......let sit for 1 hour then buff with a clean microfiber towel

Q-tips always work well for intricate places like vents etc......

:P:chevy:

Thats a pretty broad question, really depends on what shape the interior is in.

Obviously always start with a vaccum, getting all the crap out of the cracks of the seats and off the floor is priority one.

Evaluate what you're dealing with. Pull out any floor mats and set them somewhere in the sun... the warmth will cause the rubber backing to soften and make them lie flat. This makes extraction or carpet cleaning much easier to do.

Pull all rubber inserts out of the cup holders, use APC to clean any spills.

For rubber/plastic/vinyl cleaning I use a terry cloth towel and highly dilluted APC... this is ONLY if there are areas that have dirt, oil, grime on them. If you have just dust then skip to the next part.

BRUSHES!! BRUSHES!! BRUSHES!!

You should have a set of good interior brushes. Autozone sells a set by Black Magic (3 brushes) that are awesome little tools for cheap. Use brushes to get dust and debris out of any corners, cracks and crevices. Use a MF towel to get any remaining dust on large flat panels.

Dress surfaces appropriately. A water based dressing for your vinyl, rubber, and plastic. A conditioning treatment/protectant for your leather.

Stained carpets and cloth are a PITA. Spend $100 and get a Bissel Little Green Machine. This will allow you to get damn near any stains out.... if not that then a good lifting action carpet cleaner aresol will work. I like Blue Magic carpet spray w/ a carpet brush for mildly soiled carpets followed by blotting with a towel and finish w/ a vaccum.

thanks for the tips guys!!!

i didn't spend a whole lot of time on the interior since it was dark out, but i did wipe down everything with a damp microfiber, i used zaino leather in a bottle and leather condition on the seats and also sprayed (i forget which leather one is the spray) on the plastics. i didn't have any carpet cleaner so she just got a vacuuming.

i gotta get a set of brushes. just have one for the seats.