Staging Deep Or Shallow...

Black2003SS

I'm obviously not a hardcore dragster. I hear the terms staging deep or shallow and I guess that it means how far you roll into the staging lights? Can someone give me a more clear explanation for me? Thanks.

I'd be happy to. Staging shallow is...Turn on the pre-stage bulbs and stop. Then, slowly "bump" into the stage bulbs until they just come on and mash the brake. This is the most consistent way to stage because you can generally stage in the exact same spot every time which is important for consistency and your times will be faster as well. Deep staging is...Turn on the pre-stage bulbs then the stage bulbs and continue to roll forward untill the pre-stage bulbs turn off but the stage bulbs are still lit. This can also be very consistent because, if you have enough time, you can "bump" into that position as well. Deep staging is dangerous however, because it is much easier to red light as you are that much closer to disengaging the starting beam when you launch. Deep staging definetly is an art for the folks that regularly do it and it can sometimes cause you to lose up to a tenth of ET.

With that being said, most bracket racers like to stage as shallow as humanly possible because it is the most consistent. In my opinion, you want to do one or the other because you can duplicate your staging position almost exactly every run which is important. You definetly do not want to stage in between deep and shallow as your vehicle will run different times and your reaction times will be all over the map.

So, in a nut shell, deep=better reaction time, easier to red light, slower ET...shallow stage=more consistent, quicker ET, lots of practice to learn your spot on the tree for good reaction times. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

That clears it up. Now, when you bracket race, you have to designate to the starter if you intend to stage deep or shallow? I alwasy see the guys with "deep" written next to their dial in...is this required or something they do to look cool?

Some tracks or classes require that it is marked. If the track is using auto-start, then you don't have to write it. It isn't cool to write "deep" as it means that you have to deep stage because you can't cut a light! :jester:

Now, since I know someone will ask, auto-start is...when both cars are pre-staged and one car stages (both pre-stage and stage bulbs are on), the starter engages auto-start. Auto-start (used at most tracks for most events) is an electronic starting system that gives the the driver who is not staged yet 7 seconds to get staged. If he/she does not stage in that alotted time, the light will go instantly red and the driver will be disqualified due to "timing-out." Once both drivers are fully staged, the tree comes down automatically between 3 and 5 seconds. This automation of the starting process eliminates staging "duels" or games that people can play on the starting line. So, if you are deep staging at a track using auto-start, the starter cannot and will not wait for you so you better hurry on in there.

Nicely put JJ. I personally would never stage deep. Shallow staging allow you to be moving (although only a little bit) before triggering the starting beam, but in drag racing even .001 counts and can be the difference between "the win" and losing.

RacerJJ=SSS Drag Expert. :thumbs:

good read for us guys who go to the track more casually. :driving:

Since you mentioned SSS drag expert, I just thought of another point of information especially for SSS's or TBSS's or anyone with 18"+ wheels...I takes longer for big wheels to react and get rolling so finding a spot on the tree and staging is especially important for quick reaction times and consistency. :thumbs: