Overheat

hugobossvp

:withstupid: Not a bad idea, good thinking. The *right* way is to pressurize the radiator at about 12-15 psi and listen for the leak, you will hear it coming up through the carb, out the tailpipe, or out the oil fill cap. Agree with everyone here, it is being consumed in the engine, it is either in the oil pan (you would see this as grey-colored engine oil on the dipstick) or the pistons are being steam cleaned. It is also possible that there is a bad hose with a pinhole leak and it is allowing the coolant to escape, I have seen this too, it doesn't leave much evidence and you gotta know what you are looking for. Along the same line, another "hidden" leak is a bad water pump bearing, the escape hole is usually hidden out of view.

And I'm not educated enough to comment on a green dipstick :dunno::jester:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Well seeing as how i got about 5 times the feedback i expected on this i figured i owed all of you that are speculating an update. unfortunately it isnt much of an update because i havent had a chance to troubleshoot the problem with him, which hasnt even been a problem for the last few days. i still find it weird that it could get drained down (somehow) a couple of times over the course of 3 days and then be fine for the next 3 days :confused:

i should get a chance to look at it with him tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. :cheers:

UPDATE:

So i checked the car out with my roomate and tried to do a little diagnosing. We checked his dipstick (the cars that is) and it didnt read anything, nevermind a mix of oil and coolant. He was 1000 miles shy of a scheduled oil change which surprised me that his oil would be as low as it was. I had him start the engine and run the car for a few with the cap off the radiator and no fluid came out of the radiator. I took a whiff of his exhaust and it smelled pretty normal to me. Only weird thing i noticed was some greenish residue around the radiator hose where it enters the engine but it didnt look like a fresh leak of any sort. He said it was taking about 6 days for the coolant level to draw down to near empty (dont ask why he was waiting that long to level it off).

He ended up taking it to midas and they told him that they didnt really know what was going on either but apparently, his radiator was coroding around the bottom. so they changed that out, changed his oil and told him to see what happens from there.

$350 for a "this might fix it". :idiot:

Just so you know if it is the head gasket, that car is not cheap to fix. Friend of mine just had theirs done in a 97 cl was something like 800 bucks. See what happens with the new Radiator, if it is still happening I would look into getting the head gasket replaced.