2003-2004 Trucks & Suvs

CoolBlueSS

If I receive a recall letter, I'm not sure what I would do. I have a couple of questions, if anybody knows:

Do recalls have an expiration date? My cluster is currently OK, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it goes out later, can I still bring it in?

I'm moving from NY to NJ in couple of weeks. Will the dealer in NJ give me sh!t if I bought the truck in NY? I know they're "supposed" to service it, but not all dealers are so nice. If I show that I live there now, would that do the trick? Thanks, guys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I receive a recall letter, I'm not sure what I would do. I have a couple of questions, if anybody knows:

Do recalls have an expiration date? My cluster is currently OK, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it goes out later, can I still bring it in?

I'm moving from NY to NJ in couple of weeks. Will the dealer in NJ give me sh!t if I bought the truck in NY? I know they're "supposed" to service it, but not all dealers are so nice. If I show that I live there now, would that do the trick? Thanks, guys.

This is not a recall, but an extension of warranty coverage to 7 years or 70K miles. I would get it done as Dephi electronics (they built them before going out) were not the best at that time. So, it's not a matter of if it will mess up, but when.

Your second question; you can take it to any Chevrolet dealer you want. No questions asked. They may give you shit, but they shouldn't. It's not a cheap fix even under warranty, so I would think they would welcome the opportunity.

This is not a recall, but an extension of warranty coverage to 7 years or 70K miles. I would get it done as Dephi electronics (they built them before going out) were not the best at that time. So, it's not a matter of if it will mess up, but when.

Your second question; you can take it to any Chevrolet dealer you want. No questions asked. They may give you shit, but they shouldn't. It's not a cheap fix even under warranty, so I would think they would welcome the opportunity.

:thumbs: Thanks!

This is for 03-04 only correct no 05's? :dunno::dunno:

This is for 03-04 only correct no 05's? :dunno::dunno:
It only lists 2003-04, but call your local dealer to see if your VIN falls in there.

Do you have to be the original owner of the truck or have the letter?
No you do not. Whether you have the letter or not makes no difference. It's an extension of warranty coverage.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the text from the bulletin:

GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS

GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187– Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575

DESCRIPTION: SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187– SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.

Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:

Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.

1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.

2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.

3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.

4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.

5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.

I now have a problem with my Tach not working and wish my letter would come so that the dealer will not give me a problem.

CD

Edited by cadowns (see edit history)

so.... if my truck has 89K, looks like i'm paying? any other options?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-20...sspagenameZWDVW

Fill out form and fax....pay $440....

two days later...unpack new cluster

pull old cluster(about 3-5 minutes)

install new cluster(about 3-5minutes)

send old one back

receive $200 back

cheaper than at the stealership, and supposedly are reman'ed with upgraded servos

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04-05-20...sspagenameZWDVW

Fill out form and fax....pay $440....

two days later...unpack new cluster

pull old cluster(about 3-5 minutes)

install new cluster(about 3-5minutes)

send old one back

receive $200 back

cheaper than at the stealership, and supposedly are reman'ed with upgraded servos

sweet thanks for the tip... i'll probably just be getting one of these then

GM has extended coverage to 7-70 on instrument clusters. Reffer to #07187

Called my dealership they told me if i didnt have a letter from gm i was out of luck. Guess I will have to get ahold of gm or go to dealer and act a fool.