Any One Use Drop Keys & Shackles

HOD954

i'm looking to get my 07 max lower i found out you can only go 2/4 on a 4x4.my question is has any one used 1/3 drop keys on the front and shackles on the rear? i want to know if the ride gets worse or if its the same? if its the same im in that will save around 400 bucks cause the mcgaughys 2/4 drop kit is 600 someone help asap thanks

You've gotta be smart lowering the K-series (torsion bar) trucks, you will screw them up in a hurry with the total crap being sold in the aftermarket. I recommend against the McGaughy's rear kit, or any other that has a relocated front leaf spring hanger. The best solution at the moment is 2" drop spindles in the front (McGaughys) and re-arched 3" drop leafs in the back (Belltech?); you can also fudge a bit and add a tad longer leaf spring rear shackle and that will bring the ass-end down a touch more without a lot of pinion angle or instant center penalty.

Discussion on re-clocking torsion bars: These trucks have a specific designed range of total suspension travel, it's about 5-6 inches (2.5" to 3" up, plus 2.5" to 3" down); for an over-the-road truck this is more than adequate. The factory design has the frame sitting at about center of that 5-6" window at rest; when you dial-up or down the adjustment screws -OR- install different torsion bar keys what you are doing is changing how high or low the frame rides inside that window of allowable travel. Most guys think that what they are doing is lowering the truck an inch or two, but specifically what's happened is that the frame is now riding lower in the designed window of travel, so after adjustment you might now have only 2" of upward travel and 4" of downward travel. The reality is that when you are driving on "smooth" pavement you are using 1" of upward travel already, and going over anything rougher than that will have the suspension working against the upward design limit of the system.

Mr. P.