Paid a visit to Nelson Performance today

Well, I left the house at 5:00 am to make the 3 and a half hour drive down to San Antonio to finally give Allen a crack at my truck. Let me just say he did a great job. This guy knows his stuff and really made my truck feel like a totally different ride all together. It is no doubt faster and all around better performing. Now I just need to stop BS'ing and get it to the track.

I also had Joe at JAG Performance put in my shift kit and servo. Joe is definately a top notch tranny guy. He took the time to show me everything he was doing and explained the whole process to me. Truck shifts the way it should now. Maybe on the next trip I will have him put that second spacer in. :thumbs:

Let me just say it was a pleasure to meet the two of you and I will definately be seeing you again. Next time I am in town, the first round is on me. :cheers:

Cool beans. Too bad you couldn't get him to put your torque converter in while he was at your tranny - although a much longer process.

You only went with one spacer, huh? How about the shift points, Allen move them out any?

Yea, I only went one spacer. Your fault actually, I remember you telling me about your last truck breaking your neck pulling out of the driveway. :D

One spacer too soft for you? Where did he move the shift points out to, 6k? More??

Yea, I only went one spacer.  Your fault actually, I remember you telling me about your last truck breaking your neck pulling out of the driveway.  :D

One spacer too soft for you? Where did he move the shift points out to, 6k? More??

No, it's definately not too soft. Nice and firm. I just didn't want it to be too hard like I have heard some talk about.

Thanks Slim, I appreciate you driving all that way just get a tune and shiftkit.

I always enjoy tuning the SS's, then throw a Radix ontop and it's Perfect.

I set the 1-2 at 5900rpms. It pulls hard all the way up to the shift piont. I believe the stock settings were at 5200 rpms. That alone makes a huge difference.

2-3 is a tad lower and 3-4 is lower than 2-3. I'd have to get on my other laptop to remember exactly. For those that don't know, GM sets the 3-4 shift at 255mph, lol, that's why it doesn't shift into overdrive when you're holding the pedal down, you have to let off the gas a little. Now if he wanted to, he could cruise 110+ mph on overdrive. hahah. I remember someone asking what Superchips sets the governor at, it's 125mph. It's plenty, but I'm sure some of you have hit it before :nono:

After I fixed the ltrim values, they turned out to be just slightly negative. His 02's read about 890-900, I like to run the boosted apps a tad richer than NA, not much but just a tad. No KR, and the timing was fixed.

thanks again, and let me know how that stall turns out. I bet it'll launch nice.

oh , btw, you forget to mention, we actually felt the truck squirm a little bit when you took off from the light, haha, that's a great feeling.

see ya,

allen

Thanks zippy,

Shifts do get softer after a converter install, when I put my 3200 in , it helped my shifting a lot. Now they are perfect, hard at wot, and firm during normal driving.

Before the stall they were a little too harsh.

I think you'll still enjoy the shifts with a 2600, not too high, but the shifts will get a little softer.

The shiftkit and servo usually takes about 2hrs, depending on how much we bs, lol. Joe doesn't ever rush, and he'll explain every step if you want, so install time will depend on that too.

You're welcome to come down anytime Benkey, I'd love to check out your truck.

see ya,

allen

the kits i normally use don't have spacers, it modifies the the set up without choioces. the couple of transgo kits i've done i believe i put in 3 spacers in them, but don't exactly recall. haven't installed a kit yet that broke anything though which just means none have shifted too hard yet. :jester:

Thanks zippy,

Shifts do get softer after a converter install, when I put my 3200 in , it helped my shifting a lot.  Now they are perfect, hard at wot, and firm during normal driving.

Before the stall they were a little too harsh.

I think you'll still enjoy the shifts with a 2600, not too high, but the shifts will get a little softer.

The shiftkit and servo usually takes about 2hrs, depending on how much we bs, lol.  Joe doesn't ever rush, and he'll explain every step if you want, so install time will depend on that too.

You're welcome to come down anytime Benkey, I'd love to check out your truck.

see ya,

allen

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

Joe and Allen are top notch!

That reminds me, I need to get back there with them to get my Yank 2600 installed and update my shift kit to add another spacer and new springs to the 2-3 and 3-4. I really like the way 1-2 is now.

After watching Joe do a lot shift kit installs, we noticed a couple of things.

Pay close attention to what comes in the shift kits, we've noticed that a couple of shift kits have some with the wrong springs or a slightly modified part. I guess someone is falling asleep during packing, lol.

Also, GM is changing a few things in the transmissions. Sometimes they have the plastic accumalator and sometimes they have the metal one. Also, the PCS sol. connector is changing from a flat larger style to a small square connector.

Just give Joe a call Brent am I'm sure he'll setup a time for you.

Thanks for the comment btw.

PM on the way BigTex.

thanks,

allen

Archived