Let's Play The "is That Normal?" Game

You have chosen catagory:All-Wheel-Drive/Differential/Transmission Tech

Here are the questions:

Question 1: If i'm parked on a slightly up hill drive way and I hold the brake down, throw it in reverse, and I hear a loud clunk when it switches, is that normal?

Question 2: With my foot off the gas, I'm letting the truck cruise really slow in a parking lot or neighborhood. When I step on the gas a little, I hear pretty much the same loud clunk. - Is that normal?

Bonus Question: How do you know if your tranny is slipping or going out on you?

If you answer the first 2 questions correctly, you get a "Good Job!"

Answer the bonus question and you get a GOLD STAR sticker! - Maybe

That's all for this segment, join me later on this afternoon when I realize something else is wrong with my truck! :banghead: Have a nice effin day! :yellow_loser:

Edited by haul@ss (see edit history)

answer for question 1.......YES, it is normal for the trans to bang or clunk when shifting into gear while on a grade

answer for question 2.......U-JOINT, that noise is normal when a truck has miles on it and the u-joints have normal wear and tear, will eventually be need to be repaired in the distant future

bonus

it will rev up but not move anf then finally catch and go

uh oh... Well when i'm cruising at a very low speed and then i step on the gas a little, it does rev up a little, clunks, and then goes... is that what you mean? if so, PHUCKIN AYE.... All this after my warranty is out...

My brothers RCSB does this (#2) off and on. Will a shift kit get rid of a lot of this. My guess is yes.

Will a shift kit get rid of this?

Hmm... maybe this will give me the motivation to start workin on the performance side of things... Starting with the shift kit n tbtc...

1st question--Normal on hill for clunk due to weight of vehicle on tranny

2nd question--Sounds like a U-joint or joints to me

Bonus--Tranny will slip under load but if its clunking I would replace your u-joints first (cheapest option compare to tranny rebuild) and I bet

the clunk will go away. Tranny doesn't usually clunk without MAJOR internal problem!

mine clunks when I put in reverse but sometimes it even does it just sitting on a flat surface so who knows.....and mine only has 21k miles and the whole driving slow clunk mine does it to sometimes. If your worried about it maybe try changing u joints like others said and maybe try changing the tranny fluid. as far as tranny slippin you might or might not notice it, it depends on your driving habits and such and youll know when your tranny goes out :driving: