How Long Are Our Alternators Good For?

Super Silverado

I have an '03 SSS, just wondering how long I should expect my alternator to last. I am around 63,000 miles. Getting colder, thats when these things seem to fail.

Also, what about batteries? How often do they need replacement, and how much should one cost?

Well the Delco alternator is not the best :ughdance: but so far mine's fine. A lot has to do with electrical load, if you are still stock then it's ok but if you have any stereo at all the current draw beyond alternator capacity adds-up and kills it eventually. Battery - the stock one is CRAP it went at about 30-months in my case, I went to Oreilly's and got an Optima Red-top for about $135-140 and couldn't be happier. I would NOT advise the Optima yellow-top, if you have extra electrical load (stereo) then I would get a Kinetic and upgraded alternator.

Mr. P. :)

Well the Delco alternator is not the best :ughdance: but so far mine's fine. A lot has to do with electrical load, if you are still stock then it's ok but if you have any stereo at all the current draw beyond alternator capacity adds-up and kills it eventually. Battery - the stock one is CRAP it went at about 30-months in my case, I went to Oreilly's and got an Optima Red-top for about $135-140 and couldn't be happier. I would NOT advise the Optima yellow-top, if you have extra electrical load (stereo) then I would get a Kinetic and upgraded alternator.

Mr. P. :)

Just curious why you wouldnt recommend the yellow top??

Just curious why you wouldnt recommend the yellow top??

It's just the boom-wagon side of me - I believe in ample battery capacity and I just don't think the Optima YT is a very high quality product compared to what else is out there on the market, not very good CCA and really not all that great on reserve capacity either IMO. If you need more battery than what an Optima Red can deliver I would personally go with Kinetic batteries, my second considerations would be Northstar and Stinger; I will be replacing my Optima Red Top with a Kinetic 2400.

Mr. P.

Well I do have a 1000 watt amp and two 12 inch subs, but I only have the bass on 30% of the time, if that. I get a tired of listening to it anymore than that.

$135 for a battery? Ouch, hope that thing lasts a long time.

EDIT: How can I tell for sure if it is the stock, original battery?

Edited by Super Silverado (see edit history)

Well I do have a 1000 watt amp and two 12 inch subs, but I only have the bass on 30% of the time, if that. I get a tired of listening to it anymore than that.

$135 for a battery? Ouch, hope that thing lasts a long time.

EDIT: How can I tell for sure if it is the stock, original battery?

The trucks came stock with an AC Delco battery; check out my replacing PCM how-to for pics.

Mr. P.

It's just the boom-wagon side of me - I believe in ample battery capacity and I just don't think the Optima YT is a very high quality product compared to what else is out there on the market, not very good CCA and really not all that great on reserve capacity either IMO. If you need more battery than what an Optima Red can deliver I would personally go with Kinetic batteries, my second considerations would be Northstar and Stinger; I will be replacing my Optima Red Top with a Kinetic 2400.

Mr. P.

Got a link for us?

I'm personally a stinger fan, however I have noticed that the lifespan of their non-wire products (interconnects, alternators, terminals, caps, etc.) doesn't seem to be the greatest (at least in my experience)...

So what kind of alternator should I look for? Brand? Price? Where should I look for one?

When it comes to something like an alternator I believe in overkill, meaning that in this area of the truck you're kicking yourself in the nuts if you cheap out and by something that just 'gets you by'...

As far as a recommendation goes, I would look into Ohio Generator... They quoted my for a Delco CS-144 that pushed about 240 amps for about $300, plus I've heard nothing but good things about them and their service...