Winter Projects

Bonj87

since its too cold to work on the truck in my non heated garage, ive decided to do small projects on the truck, but big projects around the house.

one of them is finish my basement...as soon as i find a carpenter and a drywaller. (i dont know how to do it myself)

the other is get myself a pool table.. anyone have a pool table that can give some advice on buying a pool table? i found a 3 slate 8 foot table on craigslist, but i dont know if its a good one, or a crappy one

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tag/452885643.html

3 piece slate tables virtually require pro leveling. For someone that is patient and persistent, you can level a one-piece table. All 8' and 9' tables I've encountered are 3-peice. Bar size tables (7') are mostly one-piece. While not as large or challenging, it is pretty easy to locate a modified coin-op table that has been converted for home use. The amount of space required for a table is shocking to most that have not owned before - to be able to use a standard 57" on all parts of a 7' table you need a room that is 12' 9" x 16'. Other than that, take someone with you if you aren't able to assess rail/bumber wear, etc. Be prepared to act a little more quickly and possibly shell out a little more cash - fall is a popular time to look for tables. Good luck! Sounds like your place will be the spot this winter.

Jared

I can't wait to finish my basement either. In fact, before I can start my next SSS project, the wife made me promise that either I build a full deck, finish the attic into a bedroom with a bathroom or finish the basement. Looks like the attic will be first on the list. :ughdance:

Good luck and take some pictures!!!

Pick up some books on framing, eletrical, plumbing etc. In my last house, I finished nearly 1,200 feet in my basement with a new bathroom and wet bar in about four months, working nights and weekends. It really isn't that hard. I had no prior experience and everything came out fine. Spent about 6k on tools and materials, but it would have cost me at least 15k to have a contractor do it. I had a professional do the hung ceiling, that was it. Dry walling does suck though.