Went into the ditch! Blaming wide tires.

S10Wildside

I turned the wheel left to go through a slight bend in the road and the truck did not turn. :nonod: I had several seconds to wait as the truck slid forward and eventually into the ditch. It was a shallow ditch and I can't see any damage. The muffler wasn't dented, the cladding didn't scrape and didn't crack. Would you believe a small Isuzu pickup pulled me out by the trailer hitch and tow rope?! Glad I got the towing package! :D

I really think these tires are too wide for the slippery roads. This isn't the first time I've slid on the road. I think the SS would be better in the winter with the Silverado 4x4 wheels.

Anyone else having trouble on the winter roads?

Glad nothing is damaged :thumbs:

IMO i have always seen a narrow tire do much better in snow than a wide tire. i just dont think the good years have good tread design for it. for one its kinda wide and another thing is the tread isn't deep enough. all of my all terrian tires have twice or 3 times the amount of tread.

:chevy:

I hate to hear that b/c I did just that this past Thanksgiving day, but in my 02 Z71. It was raining hard while driving around 40 MPH and the truck just started to spin. I taped the back of a Honda Accord and launched backwards off the side of the road tail gate first into a chain link fence. The trailer hitch got tangled in the fence and pulled out 150 feet of fence and 9 poles concrete and all! As the truck slid to a stop I sheared off a water main and came to rest 4 feet from a gas main thanks to the fence. The truck was a mess but the front end was in the ditch which filled with water very fast. By the time the wrecker came the front was submersed! At that point the truck was totaled. All this happened on stock tires with 18,000 miles on them. So I think no matter what tires you have you can slide out of control. Nevertheless, I am sorry to hear that happened to you. Glad nothing happened to you or the truck.

I have tires nearly as wide as the SS. They're 265/75R16 REVOs. They are great in the snow. Stopping in the snow has improved alot. That's the main reason I went with an A/T.

However, even with 4WD on, it will slide sideways if I get into a turn too fast. That happened with my old tires too though.

Wow... I'm glad things turned out allright. That stuff is so scary, it sticks with you for a few weeks.

*knock on a great big old piece of wood* I haven't had any problems with these tires.

They pulled my up my driveway, with fresh snow just under bumper height. (10-12" or so). I think they're nice and predictable. I have yet to lose one end over the other, or have the truck do anything weird on me. It's always a nice slide, tail first. (I don't put any weight in the back)

You definitely have to watch your speed when the snow starts to accumulate. It's easy to 'hydroplane' on the stuff.

I do have to admit that they provide absolutely NO traction what-so-ever on ice. A few weeks back I had a long, very low speed slide, and couldn't stop. Granted, I haven't owned a tire that was GOOD on ice, but these definitely aren't ice tires.

Archived