Anyone Know/have/had This?

06redSSrwd

okay, since i got the truck brand new it occasionally has this interior vibrating buzz that comes from behind the lower driver side dash. usually occurs with certain bass sounds or exhaust resonance. one day i'll take the time to find it and silence it. if anyone's already done so...please share!!

now the really annoying one is this one.....

Whenever I'm going slow and rolling (not enough wind or engine noise to cover it up) I hear this killer outside squeaking noise that seems to come from the front driver side. It has to be something with the suspension or wheels. maybe i'm way off....anyone had this problem? or know about this? please help!!

as always..thanks in advance for any help/advice. you guys are awesome

ES :flag:

up front, you could have a bad hub bearing or it could be something as simple as the brake dust shield barely touching the rotor. does it squeek all the time or just over bumps, both, etc etc?

the interior noise could be anything.... you will just have to find a way to constantly reproduce it and then find it. the felt half of velcro tape works great in silencing small rattles. good luck :cheers:

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

well it does go off randomly on fairly uneven ground. It's something that i can't see a bump in the road and know," Ok, it's going to happen now" that's why i haven't bothered taking it to anyone. Won't really happen over a speed bump because it's a rather smooth transition. but I hear it a lot in the parking garage where the ground is kind of ribbed... what do you think?ES :flag:i've also tried bouncing on the suspension by pushing down on the corners of the truck to no result. It seems to only happen when the truck is rolling, it may be a bearing or hub...ES :flag:

well it does go off randomly on fairly uneven ground. It's something that i can't see a bump in the road and know," Ok, it's going to happen now" that's why i haven't bothered taking it to anyone. Won't really happen over a speed bump because it's a rather smooth transition. but I hear it a lot in the parking garage where the ground is kind of ribbed... what do you think?ES :flag:i've also tried bouncing on the suspension by pushing down on the corners of the truck to no result. It seems to only happen when the truck is rolling, it may be a bearing or hub...ES :flag:

Sounds like a bearing issue or brakes to me.

I had the same thing, it is a bad shock boot/cover that was rubbing up against the shock body, dealer should replace it for free. The boot/cover is soft rubber/plastic and sometimes is warped causing it to rub on the shock.

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

:withstupid:

best way to find it out is jack up the front or use a lift and spin the wheels. also check the rotors and brake dust shield behind the rotor, sometimes they rub and make a horrific squeeking noise

:withstupid:

I was thinking the same thing.

i am a GM tech, and these trucks usually have brake issues if the truck is driven spiritedly (which obviously is why you bought an SS lol). sometimes the rear drums actually make that noise. the shoes tend to just barely touch the drum. not enough to cause any serious heat or anything but just the eight amount to cause that horrendous noise. i did have that happen to me....

I have that outside noise on the driver's side too.. I'm suspecting the carrier bearing or CVA...I can only hear it at slow speeds, and when I give slight pressure to the wheel. Driving completely straight will silence it. But slightest bit of pressure(more left than right) the noise comes back. And it does sound similar to the dust shield scraping the rotor. But I'm almost 100% positive that it's not the case.

I'm having a hard time deciding to let the dealership do mine, or do it myself. KelleyPerformance....Is it routine to re-shim the carrier/pinion after you replace the carrier bearings? Although I'm going to replace both, which one is the problem child?

i have that interior vibration too (i think). mine is the trim panel vibrating near the front of it. i slid my hand between the dash and the drim panel. if that makes it go away then i would put some foam tape there....maybe that would make it go away.

I have that outside noise on the driver's side too.. I'm suspecting the carrier bearing or CVA...I can only hear it at slow speeds, and when I give slight pressure to the wheel. Driving completely straight will silence it. But slightest bit of pressure(more left than right) the noise comes back. And it does sound similar to the dust shield scraping the rotor. But I'm almost 100% positive that it's not the case.

I'm having a hard time deciding to let the dealership do mine, or do it myself. KelleyPerformance....Is it routine to re-shim the carrier/pinion after you replace the carrier bearings? Although I'm going to replace both, which one is the problem child?

since it only happens when shifting wieght from tire to tire, its probably the hub bearings. if it were the carrier it would always do it with movement. if it were the dust shield, again, it would always happen. but a hub bearing on its way out will start to make noise when wieght is transfered to it (such as a turn)

since it only happens when shifting wieght from tire to tire, its probably the hub bearings. if it were the carrier it would always do it with movement. if it were the dust shield, again, it would always happen. but a hub bearing on its way out will start to make noise when wieght is transfered to it (such as a turn)

ahhh....hhaa.... I was thinking this as well, but was confused as nearly everything on this forum was pointing to the diff...

would definetly explain myABS issues...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36982

Thanks bro....I don't guess I can get by pulling/pressing that bearing without popping off the spindle?

[EDIT] nevermind, just read Mr.P's How-to....looks like the hub can be taken out of the spindle...

Edited by dawgbone (see edit history)

sounds like a wheel (hub) bearing for sure.