Interesting Drag Racing Facts

brobradh77

I was lucky enough to have seen Don Garlits run in his prime. Or should I say "second" prime, with the rear engine Swamp Rat. An awesome experience to say the least.
I've seen Big Daddy run a couple of times myself. Plus, Eddie Hill was signing autographs several years ago. Great guys, and fun to watch.

... EVERYONE should experience seeing a top fuel dragster fly down the track. It is freakin' amazing.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

It's like seeing the ocean or grand canyon - words cannot explain, you just have to see it for yourself. Get a seat on the 60-ft line and bring your ear protection. My fav = John Force. :driving:

Mr. P. :)

...Get a seat on the 60-ft line and bring your ear protection...

ear protection??? i love every bit of a top fuel drag race. the impact of the exhaust hitting your chest, the sound, the feeling of all the oxygen being removed from the air around you...everything.

sweet facts too brad :thumbs:

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

i just recently went to the top fuel drage here in pomona last weekend. It was one of the coolest things ever. we had great seats , when these things take off your vision just blurs and just rumbles your guts. AWESOME SHIT!!!

but i could have swore there were a couple runs past 333 mph.

someone was saying when they start the car and by the end of the strip they have used up 14 gallons of fuel.

another cool fact is they produce around 8000 hp . thats 1000 per cylinder.

ear protection??? i love every bit of a top fuel drag race. the impact of the exhaust hitting your chest, the sound, the feeling of all the oxygen being removed from the air around you...everything.

sweet facts too brad :thumbs:

If you don't plug your ears during a top fuel run, man, you have to be deaf or will be going deaf very soon.

i just recently went to the top fuel drage here in pomona last weekend. It was one of the coolest things ever. we had great seats , when these things take off your vision just blurs and just rumbles your guts. AWESOME SHIT!!!

but i could have swore there were a couple runs past 333 mph.

someone was saying when they start the car and by the end of the strip they have used up 14 gallons of fuel.

another cool fact is they produce around 8000 hp . thats 1000 per cylinder.

Damn Chase, you are a math savvy, haha.

I wonder how many horse is produced by the blower.

… that the nitromethane-powered engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars produce approximately 7,000 horsepower, about 37 times that of the average street car?

… that one cylinder of the eight cylinders of a Top Fuel dragster or a Funny Car produces 750 horsepower, equaling the entire horsepower output of a NASCAR engine?

… that the gasoline-powered engines of NHRA Pro Stock cars produce about 1,200 horsepower, about eight times that of the average street car?

… that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster accelerates from 0 to 100 mph in less than .8-second, almost 11 seconds quicker than it takes a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach the same speed?

… that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster leaves the starting line with a force nearly five times that of gravity, the same force of the space shuttle when it leaves the launching pad at Cape Canaveral?

… that an NHRA Funny Car is slowed by a reverse force more than seven times that of gravity when both parachutes deploy simultaneously?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars consume between four and five gallons of fuel during a quarter-mile run, which is equivalent to between 16 and 20 gallons per mile?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use between 10 and 12 gallons of fuel for a complete pass, including the burnout, backup to the starting line, and quarter-mile run?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars travel the length of more than four football fields in less than five seconds?

… that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters can exceed 280 mph in just 660 feet?

… that from a standing start, NHRA Top Fuel dragsters accelerate faster than a jumbo jet, a fighter jet, and a Formula One race car?

… that a fuel pump for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster and Funny Car delivers 65 gallons of fuel per minute, equivalent to eight bathroom showers running at the same time?

… that the fuel-line pressure for NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars is between 400 and 500 pounds, about 20 times greater than the pressure on passenger-car fuel pumps?

… that depending on size and angle, the large rear wing on an NHRA Top Fuel dragster develops between 4,000 and 8,000 pounds of downforce?

… that the 17-inch rear tires used on NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars wear out after four to six runs, or about two miles? Some brands of passenger-car tires are guaranteed for 80,000 miles.

… that it takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 7,000 horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels?

… that it's desirable for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster to race with its front wheels inches off the ground for about the first 200 feet of the run? This ensures proper weight transfer to the rear wheels, a crucial part of a good launch and quick run.

… that the nitromethane used to power the engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars costs about $30 per gallon?