Turkey - Deep Fried

Stitches040

Hey all ...

I know a lot of you out there Deep Fry your Turkey. So here is my dilema ...

I received a Deep fryer for Christmas last year from the Mother-In-Law, and I guess who is coming to dinner .... So I need to try this thing out, and I guess I will have a crash course with out tomorrow.

But fellow SSS.com'ers I need a little help.

Any Guidence or sure fire hints/pointers would be great.

#1 - Do I need to Brine the bird first?

#2 - Do I season the outside of the bird before cooking.

#3 - What seasonings do you use.

#4 - Anything you can offer for help.

We do have a Ham too, just incase I screw this up!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks in adavance ...

Hope you all have a safe holiday, especially in your travels.

Shuan

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I am a deep fryer expert.

#1 - Do I need to Brine the bird first? NO

#2 - Do I season the outside of the bird before cooking? You can, but injector marinade is best

#3 - What seasonings do you use? Uncle Bucks Turkey injector kit with either Creole, Cajun, or Mesquite marinades...Onyl available at Bass Pro Shops

#4 - Anything you can offer for help. Tons...give me a few minutes...

A few tips:

1. Fill the fryer pot with water and submerge the bird in the water in the pot (use cold water). Empty or add water only until the bird is about .5"-1.0" below the water surface. Great...now remove the turkey from the water and once the water settles...place a well marked line on the inside of the pot (perm marker works well). Empty the water. Dry pot. Now pour in your fryer oil that you have selected (I use uncle bucks). Fill it up to the line mark you made and STOP. The whole reason, you can imagine, is displacement. I have seen WAY to many people fill their pot to the brim with oil, heat it up, drop in a half frozen bird and watch the HOT oil spill all over their beautiful deck or garage floor, permanently staining it. I even saw a guy get third degree burns because the oil spewed up on him when he dropped the bird in.

2. Lower the bird slowly and surely

3. If your kit does not have a coat hanger looking thingy to lower the bird in and out, get one.

4. Do it outside in a well ventilated area, not your garage, not matter how cold out it is.

5. Do not do it on your deck...patio ok, it may spill a little though.

6. Do not try to deep fry more than 13lb turkey.

7. Make sure you have enough propane...seen people run out half way through...it sucks and nothign is open tomorrow. Do not rely on one of those little coleman propane disposable canisters, one is not enough. Use your grille propane tank if you have one...

8. That is all I can think of at the moment.

I got all my stuff at Bass Pro Shops...you can buy injector marinade kits at Target, Walmart, Kmart, Most large grocery chains though. I recommend something with a little kick or spice...dont worry, it will not be overpowering as long as it is not cajun, that one is strong. A good garlic/butter injector kit is good too...

Now get to the store!

It's really easy. #1. You can. What we do is start with a thawed bird, use a syringe to inject seasoning of choice into various parts of bird. #2. You can. We do the same on the outside as we use on the inside. ie. Cajun style, smoke flavor, whatever.

It's really hard to screw up. The main thing to remember, for safety, is common sense. Put the birds in slowly, so that the oil doesn't overflow. Maintain temperature between 325F-350F. This is important, so you'll have to watch pretty much the entire process. Have fun and enjoy. :thumbs:

It's really easy. #1. You can. What we do is start with a thawed bird, use a syringe to inject seasoning of choice into various parts of bird. #2. You can. We do the same on the outside as we use on the inside. ie. Cajun style, smoke flavor, whatever.

It's really hard to screw up. The main thing to remember, for safety, is common sense. Put the birds in slowly, so that the oil doesn't overflow. Maintain temperature between 325F-350F. This is important, so you'll have to watch pretty much the entire process. Have fun and enjoy. :thumbs:

3.5 minutes per pound at the temps Dwain listed and here's more info and seasoning tips:

Deep Fried Turkey

damn, haha ive never even heard of someone deep frying a turkey

Really? I did one at the track a few years back with a citrus herb injected marinade. It was just about the best damn yardbird I have ever had next to my herb butter oven roasted version.

Oh yeah guys...dont forget to take the little plastic thermometer thing out that comes in some birds...neighbor did that last year...he had a big plastic glob in the breast of one of his birds...had to throw half the bird out...I just remembered this because I just got done prepping my turkey.

Thanks for all your help guys ....

Did pretty much what everyone said ... Cooked it to perfection. Pretty amaized how it really turned out ....

The rest of the family enjoyed it to. It was too late to really find a Marinade ... so this year we went without. Next year, I will get a Marinade sooner than later.

Once again, Thanks for all your help .... And I didn't evern burn down the House!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks for all your help guys ....

Did pretty much what everyone said ... Cooked it to perfection. Pretty amaized how it really turned out ....

The rest of the family enjoyed it to. It was too late to really find a Marinade ... so this year we went without. Next year, I will get a Marinade sooner than later.

Once again, Thanks for all your help .... And I didn't evern burn down the House!!!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Not burning down the house is good :thumbs:

Now that you've done it, you'll do it every year and also special events like Super Bowl Sunday. It's like the truck, once you start you can't stop :jester: