Urgent Help Needed

Well heres my situation. About a month ago I installed a transgo hd2 shift kit with 2 washers as well as a corvette servo. Ever since I did the install I was a little dissappointed in it's performance. When shifting from 1st to 2nd it seemed to shift alright but it did not seem to shift any firmer than stock. And when I was really on the throttle it seemed to shift even slower. Well at that point I talked to a few people and they told me that it just needed to be tuned, but that just driving it like that for a little while would not cause any damage to the transmission. Well last weekend I went fourwheeling and pulled an enclosed trailer. It wasn't terribley heavy but at one point the tranny still seemed to get a little warm around 200 degrees. After this I noticed it didn't seem to shift out of first gear until about 4500 rpm, later I realized this was because it was shifting directly from 1st to 3rd. I can't seem to do anything to make it shift into 2nd. Also it should be noted that when I am doing about 40 to 50mph and hit the throttle it downshifts and then it seems to come out of gear and hit the rev limiter. At this point I am very confused with what is going on. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, and sorry about the long post.

P.S. do you guys think that I am doing any more damage to it buy driving it without it going to second gear, cause it is my daily driver and I may not have a chance to work on it till next weekend. Thanks again for any help!

First question, do you have 4th gear?

If you have 4th it's possibly a cut scarf seal on the 2nd gear servo piston is your problem. It would also explain why the 1-2 shift felt soft. The 2-4 servo pistons are on the passenger side of the tranny right behind the bellhousing above the tranny pan. Doing an install in the vehicle because of lack of room this is a common failure. All that you have to do is get the piston cocked just a little and you can nick the seal.

Also the 1-2 accumulator piston (inside when the pan is removed behind the valve body) could have failed, which I believe is part of the transgo kit.

Just a couple items that come to mind

Check anywhere that you made changes first.

Hope this helps

OH NO!!! This is an all too haunting topic for me. The same thing happened to me last weekend. I installed the corvette 2nd gear servo and exacpt same thing to a TEE happened after reassembling it. Heres what it is. You need to take apart the servo and look at your flat plastic snap rings. I WILL GUARANTEE 100% that it is one of these that is causing it. Mine happened to be on the 2nd gear piston. You should be able to see how chewed up the snap ring is and just get another one from a local auto store however I was not able to so I had to search high and low and not even the dealer had them!!! I had to go into a special tranny shop and buy 2 and re install them. Here is another link to my disaster thread however, you might need to sign up to view the thread( trust me its worth signing up to read this info) Please pm me if you need ANY help and I would be glad to walk you through it. Heres the link on GMFS.com read halfway down the page on my posts

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99580

Thanks for the fast reply. I do have fourth gear so I might have to check the scarf seal on the second gear servo piston one day this next week.

Thinking about it I do remember having difficulties with that seal while installing the servo. If that is the failure do you know where I could get just the seal without having to buy another servo?

OH NO!!! This is an all too haunting topic for me. The same thing happened to me last weekend. I installed the corvette 2nd gear servo and exacpt same thing to a TEE happened after reassembling it. Heres what it is. You need to take apart the servo and look at your flat plastic snap rings. I WILL GUARANTEE 100% that it is one of these that is causing it. Mine happened to be on the 2nd gear piston. You should be able to see how chewed up the snap ring is and just get another one from a local auto store however I was not able to so I had to search high and low and not even the dealer had them!!! I had to go into a special tranny shop and buy 2 and re install them. Here is another link to my disaster thread however, you might need to sign up to view the thread( trust me its worth signing up to read this info) Please pm me if you need ANY help and I would be glad to walk you through it. Heres the link on GMFS.com read halfway down the page on my posts

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99580

Hey thanks for the link. Seems like lots of good info. So where did you end up finally getting a plastic oring, cause right now I don't even know where to look for something like that, and I would really like to get it fixed early this next week if possible. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks for the fast reply. I do have fourth gear so I might have to check the scarf seal on the second gear servo piston one day this next week.

Thinking about it I do remember having difficulties with that seal while installing the servo. If that is the failure do you know where I could get just the seal without having to buy another servo?

Where are you located?

I can probably tell you who to call depending what part of Indiana you are in, or get it and ship it to you

Couple things. I have seen as mentioned above that the scarf cut Teflon seals could be cut. This happens and you might be able to fix your problem if the band is not to badly damaged. On another note in some cases the band might be on it's way out to lunch. This is why you feel the slip in 2nd gear. I know that the same band is used for 4th however the load of the vehicle is why you notice it more in 2nd. Meaning that on the 1-2 shift the weight of the vehicle is putting more of a load on the transmission then on the 3-4 shift. I hope that I gave you a little better understanding here. If you need these seals to go back in there you let me know. I will send them to you for free and some day you will owe me a beer! Pm me with your address or give us a call. I'm sure you can figure out how to find us. Vince

Couple things. I have seen as mentioned above that the scarf cut Teflon seals could be cut. This happens and you might be able to fix your problem if the band is not to badly damaged. On another note in some cases the band might be on it's way out to lunch. This is why you feel the slip in 2nd gear. I know that the same band is used for 4th however the load of the vehicle is why you notice it more in 2nd. Meaning that on the 1-2 shift the weight of the vehicle is putting more of a load on the transmission then on the 3-4 shift. I hope that I gave you a little better understanding here. If you need these seals to go back in there you let me know. I will send them to you for free and some day you will owe me a beer! Pm me with your address or give us a call. I'm sure you can figure out how to find us. Vince

Hey Vince, PM sent, thanks for the help!

Where are you located?

I can probably tell you who to call depending what part of Indiana you are in, or get it and ship it to you

I see your out of Indianapolis, I am from Columbus about 45 miles south, so if you know who to contact in Indy that would have the seal that would be great.

It's your lucky day. I've got your seals

Let me know what you want to do

Thats awesome, what would you want for them?

The easiest thing for me I think would be to have them mailed cause otherwise it may be next weekend before I would be able to get up to Indy. If something like this would work for you let me know and I'll send you a PM with my address.