Leaking Dynatech Lt's

TheGeorgiaKid

I just put my Dynatech header kit on yesterday. What a job! Sounds great even on the stock exhaust system. The only problem is that flange is leaking on the number 5 cyl all the others are fine. I wasn't to impressed with the straightness of the flanges to start with (even though they are not off much), but I figured it would straighten after it got hot & I retorqued the bolts & it would stop, but it didn't. I'm going to try a set of Fel Pro header gaskets & see if it stops. Anyone else having a problem?

Edited by TheGeorgiaKid (see edit history)

What gasket did you end up going with?? That could be part of your problem

I used the gaskets that came with the headers. They are OEM style gaskets. How was the straightness of the header flanges on yours?

Edited by TheGeorgiaKid (see edit history)

I used the gaskets that came with the headers. They are OEM style gaskets. How was the straightness of the header flanges on yours?

I actually haven't installed mine yet...they are on the garage floor, but I am definately going with the gaskets from the dealer. Thats what all these guys recommend so I figure they all can't be wrong! Actually ur the 1st I have heard that their Dynatechs leak on... :dunno:

I personally say to heck with the OEM style or GM gaskets for headers. They are made for manifolds that are machined true & won't flex/warp. I'm going to swap them out for a set of #1438 Fel Pro Header gaskets & see if that fixes them.

I talked to Dynatech & they are going to replace the drivers side header that is leaking. It was a .020 gap at the top of the flange on #5 cyl. The other header is fine. So the OEM type gaskets should be ok, but I think I'm still going to use the Fel Pro header gaskets.