Using Oil To Gut Cats?

Fast2500Ak

It sounds like a horrible idea, and probably is, but I have a friend whose done it multiple times and the engine miraculously seems to survive, he puts the truck up on a hill and pours oil down the tailpipes while running, takes it out on the highway and they explode inside or something and afterward the cats no longer seem to pose a restriction. Just wondering how filling the cats with oil kills the them and not the engine because it has to be inducing cat failure and collapsing them. I don't know, it just seemed intersting. Anyone else ever heard of this? Just curious.

:withstupid:

dude if you do this to a SSS, I will need your address to confiscate it back from you.

you can unbolt them, if you melt them using oil, where do you think the core is going??? its still in there.

Please dont do this.

see the post about the guy w/audi doing a port and polish...

Just wondering how filling the cats with oil kills the them and not the engine because it has to be inducing cat failure and collapsing them. I don't know, it just seemed intersting. Anyone else ever heard of this? Just curious.

i think he knows its a bad idea guys.

I was just curious, no this is not something that I would ever do to my truck, I was just wondering if it actually worked. It did on my friends truck but it was an early 90's chevy with a single cat. It just seemed like a funny redneck way of gutting them. According to him the ceramic material just shatters and gets thrown out the tailpipes, come to think of it do they even use ceramic any more?

the actual reaction is the oil boils and melts the substrate. the substrate allows NO exhaust flow, (damaging the exhaust valves more than likly) then the cylinder pressure driving on the highway shatters the substrate which flys out the tail pipe. Glycol antifreeze will do the same thing. If you want a quicker reaction, do it with gasoline.

Either way you look at it, its a horrible idea, you run the risk of damaging your engine and creating a huge fire ball.

all this means no more truck.

good luck man

Edited by PladdPezzPunk (see edit history)

Is your friend the inventor of Direct Exhaust Injection (DEI)?

Mike

lol actualy, I've never seen him do anything to his engine that hasn't worked no matter how crazy or dangerous. He's either a genius, or really really lucky. But still, don't judge someone until you driven a mile in their truck, that way when you judge them you're a mile away and you have thier truck.