Newbie With Hemi-ram...why Is The 5.3 Faster Than Our Hemi And Ss Truc

v8only

Hi all. I'm hoping not to get flamed, as i've got an 03 dodge Hemi ram. However...I've also got a 6.0 2500 2006 4x4 silverado work truck (company issued)

I've got an honest to god question that has been bugging me forever, and this seems the best forum for an answer. A while back, I was on my mustang board, bragging about my newly acquired slightly used hemi ram. I know the quarter mile times for it are around 15.1 stock. Well, a guy with a BONE STOCK 5.3L gmc truck states that he was doing 14.6 in the quarter. Problem is, this guy is EXTREMELY repitable....So, even though I didn't want to believe him, I kind of had to.

Anyhow, I dismissed that until recently, when I had to take the 6.0 2500 into the shop for work. my work gave me a loaner truck, an 05 1500 5.3 4x4 silverado. This thing freaking screams. Not only has it got to be almost, or faster than my hemi ram, but It's got to be faster than the SS trucks too.

which brings me to my next question....why is chevy sporting this 6.0 SS so called super truck that only does 15.0 or so in the quarter, when a lowly optioned 5.3 silverado can smoke the doors off that 6.0, and even smoke my hemi too???

This has been bugging me to NO END. Am I wrong?? Does this 5.3 feel faster than it is?? WHy did I spend the extra cash on a 345 horse hemi ram, and why did you all spend the cash on a 6.0 SS silverado, when we could have spent THOUSANDS less on a plain jain 5.3 1500 silverado that rips mid 14's all day long stock??

Finally, I'm a hard core car guy, so I know the truck is lighter, and that helps, but is that really all there is to it??

BTW, I know my 2500 is a heavy pig, but that 6.0L is a slow dog!

Hi all. I'm hoping not to get flamed, as i've got an 03 dodge Hemi ram. However...I've also got a 6.0 2500 2006 4x4 silverado work truck (company issued)

I've got an honest to god question that has been bugging me forever, and this seems the best forum for an answer. A while back, I was on my mustang board, bragging about my newly acquired slightly used hemi ram. I know the quarter mile times for it are around 15.1 stock. Well, a guy with a BONE STOCK 5.3L gmc truck states that he was doing 14.6 in the quarter. Problem is, this guy is EXTREMELY repitable....So, even though I didn't want to believe him, I kind of had to.

Anyhow, I dismissed that until recently, when I had to take the 6.0 2500 into the shop for work. my work gave me a loaner truck, an 05 1500 5.3 4x4 silverado. This thing freaking screams. Not only has it got to be almost, or faster than my hemi ram, but It's got to be faster than the SS trucks too.

which brings me to my next question....why is chevy sporting this 6.0 SS so called super truck that only does 15.0 or so in the quarter, when a lowly optioned 5.3 silverado can smoke the doors off that 6.0, and even smoke my hemi too???

This has been bugging me to NO END. Am I wrong?? Does this 5.3 feel faster than it is?? WHy did I spend the extra cash on a 345 horse hemi ram, and why did you all spend the cash on a 6.0 SS silverado, when we could have spent THOUSANDS less on a plain jain 5.3 1500 silverado that rips mid 14's all day long stock??

Finally, I'm a hard core car guy, so I know the truck is lighter, and that helps, but is that really all there is to it??

BTW, I know my 2500 is a heavy pig, but that 6.0L is a slow dog!

I am not sure if you have ever driven an SS but it is different than a 2500 with a 6.0. My brother has a ram with the hemi and my SS pretty much spanks it. Both trucks have a few mods but nothing special. I also have owned a 1500 with the 5.3 and they do run well but I was not blown away.

well so far the best times ive seen are like 14.8x for a single cab 5.3 and 14.7 for an awd ss. so it is close but the ss does have extra weight with the ex cab . there is no way an ex cab 5.3 would compete with an ss stock for stock.

Before I got the SSS I had an 03 Z-71 ex-cab and it had the 5.3 and it was a good strong engine but could not stand a chance to the 6.0 that I have in my SSS. I have not ran either at the track but very sure that the SSS would eat the Z-71 for lunch. Also not to fond of the Hemi and think they are slow and eat way to much gas.

:chevy::flag::chevy:

A stripped down 2WD single cab short box (no options) with the H.O. 5.3 and 4.10 gears would be right in there with an SS. BUT...the SS is packing a front diff, transfer case, extended cab, and full options.

If you want the 5.3 for "thousands less" then go for it. I prefer to pack around the luxuries for "thousands more" and still run mid to high 14's (or even a low 15).

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

The 6.0 in the 2500HD trucks don't have flat head pistons like the SS, its a lower compression but I think what you might be feeling in the 5.3 is the lower first gear of the 4L60e, the ss has it too. I have a 2500HD too and that 4L80e is indestructible and all but it has a really high first gear which makes it seem logy in the low end. The 6.0 in the HD's are just bored 5.3's with slightly different heads. The SS 6.0 (LQ9) has a higher compression ratio. Also the new Hemi's aren't really hemi's like the early ones were, they are pentroof heads with the sparkplug that fires down. Also if its the 2500hd with the 4.10 gears it won't have that touchy low end, I noticed this in my parent's chevy's. Higher gears can feel more responsive, even touchy, until you give it a lot of gas, then you feel the loss of mechanical advantage.

Edited by Fast2500Ak (see edit history)

Perfect example here of why the 5.3 is NOT faster than our 6.0's. In my old truck (2000 5.3L 1500 Silverado) with intake, exh, tune and efans @ 56* I ran a 15.6 best at the track. I was behind a bone stock extended cab SS and he ran a 15.0 bone stock. 03 and 04's are AWD w/ 4.10's which really helps the take off. BTW those thousands of dollars is what makes our trucks stand out when parked next to a base model 1500 series

The best 4x4 QC Hemi's in my area ran a 15.0xx with LT's, CAI, Cat-back, Superchip, with 17's. The other Ram with us ran 15.1's to 15.2's. My SS runs those numbers easily in stock trim, before my Lt's and retune I ran 14.39...big difference IMO. My 00' ECSB 4x4 Silvy with 5.3 ran 15.6 with CAI, cat-back, and hypertech. Hope that gives you a comparison.