Feel Like A Newb Askin This Question...

im plannin on doin some performance mods after Christmas

LT headers, highflow cats, tune, plugs and wires, and a 160* Tstat. I already have a CAI.

I know this wont add the horsepower of an s/c or nitrous but my qeustion is, do I need to add any tranny upgrades to support the added horsepower now or can I wait? Although tranny upgrades in in the near future i didnt know if i needed to do them now or wait. The last thing i wanna do is blow my transmission.

sorry for sounding like a :loser: lol

Edited by smoke03 (see edit history)

Although tranny upgrades in in the near future i didnt know if i needed to do them now or wait. The last thing i wanna do is blow my transmission.

sorry for sounding like a :loser: lol

Oh, you mean problems like oh, lets say your front seal blowing on your tranny? I could probably get you in contact with a member on here who that just happened to blow his tranny at 28k miles and is having it rebuilt as we speak.. OH WAIT... THATS ME!!!

I wouldnt say that these mods will effect your tranny but take all of us guys who have already had to replace one.. If you plan on modding more, just do it now and get it done with instead of it blowing

I'd say Transgo HD2 ..I happened to buy the kit with the accumulator piston and the metal seperator plate in it and while your at it do a corvette 2nd gear servo. Those ran me about $120 all together. You might also want to do the Superior 4th gear billet servo which runs about $55 ( I did not do it but alot of other people have). If you really want to dive into it and beef it up, Mr P was very kind and wrote me a novel in my pm box about adding things since the tranny is out.

I'd say Transgo HD2 ..I happened to buy the kit with the accumulator piston and the metal seperator plate in it and while your at it do a corvette 2nd gear servo. Those ran me about $120 all together. You might also want to do the Superior 4th gear billet servo which runs about $55 ( I did not do it but alot of other people have). If you really want to dive into it and beef it up, Mr P was very kind and wrote me a novel in my pm box about adding things since the tranny is out.

i dont really wanna dive into it i just wanna know what ppl are doing to keep them together...

Not neccessary for those mods IMO but the shift kit sure makes them fun..:)

:withstupid: , like the other guys said a shift kit would be good with those mods! I'd go with that Transgo like the others have said. I have yet to get a shift kit, but will probably go with the set-up that was recommended. Chances are you probably won't have any problems if you did nothing. Good Luck.

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

funny i was just reading over at pt.net about people's misconception that a shift kit actually shortens the life of our transmissions. :uhoh:

i just dont get it. it is one of the cheapest and best mods you can do and it will help prolong the life of these transmissions. my tranny guy puts at least the transgo hd-1 kit in every rebuild he does. so yes do a shift kit, parts and laber probably cost you around 300 bucks but its money well spent. another fairly inexpensive thing to do is upgrade your trans cooler. the stock one is at best adequate. a larger cooler will keep trans temps down further helping the situation. mine dropped almost 20 degrees at operating temp just by adding a bigger cooler and that is with a higher stall converter to boot.

good luck with the future mods!

funny i was just reading over at pt.net about people's misconception that a shift kit actually shortens the life of our transmissions. :uhoh:

i just dont get it. it is one of the cheapest and best mods you can do and it will help prolong the life of these transmissions. my tranny guy puts at least the transgo hd-1 kit in every rebuild he does. so yes do a shift kit, parts and laber probably cost you around 300 bucks but its money well spent. another fairly inexpensive thing to do is upgrade your trans cooler. the stock one is at best adequate. a larger cooler will keep trans temps down further helping the situation. mine dropped almost 20 degrees at operating temp just by adding a bigger cooler and that is with a higher stall converter to boot.

good luck with the future mods!

:withstupid: yep cant go wrong there

yea id say thats not gunna raise HP too greatly. BUT these transmissions fail all day long in stock trucks, so like they all said, itd be smart to do it now rather than rebuild the whole thing later. go with the transgo HD-2, OR better yet get the zippy shift kit. its much easier in general, due to the slight differences in the 65e and 60e transmissions (the transgo kits are for 60e's). sometimes the HD-2s fit and work great, sometimes they dont (not saying yours wont fit, but this is my experience at the shop). make sure to get either a 2nd gear corvette sevro (also available thru zippy) or a sonnax servo setup. the sonnax are more expensive, but will shift alot harder.

... or a sonnax servo setup. the sonnax are more expensive, but will shift alot harder.

Yea, I opted for the Sonnex. Noticeable difference from a friends with the corvette and a 1 washer shift kit. I have the Trans-go HD-2. I get a kick in the kidneys at every shift. :chevy: