Front End Differential Problems

I just bought my 2004 SS about 4 months ago (used obviously). It has developed a noises from the fromt end. A sort of grinding rotation noise when the truck is turning either way at slow speed, like a parking lot. I cant pinpoint where the noise is coming from but it sounds like CV joints or Differential or wheel bearings. It does it turning both ways though so Im wondering if its the diff. On the highway, I can feel slight bumps in the steering wheel when I turn but nothing going straight. Has anyone had from end problems.

These are all known issues, several of them factory defects. "Thunk" in the steering column is common to ALL GM pickups between 2003 and 2007, take it to the dealer and see if you can get it serviced under goodwill warranty. Front end from what you describe is most likely worn-out bearings (was common defect on AWD trucks); if you hear/feel a distinct "click" or "pop" during turning that is more likely bad CV joint. But be careful in your diagnosis, I also thought I had front-end groaning but after hours of listening I finally figured out the noise in my case was the rear differential kicking-in 1/2-way through a turn but at first I swore it sounded like it was coming from the front-end...

Mr. P.

search search search.

In a nut shell though, the bumps in the steering are probably the intermediate steering shaft which i think everyone has replaced at LEAST once.

the noise in the front end at slow speeds is the differential, pretty much standard with all of our trucks. mine got real noisy when i had about 20,000 on the truck, took it in and the dealer repacked the carrier bearing (or something?). i think it makes the same amount of noise now at 74,000 miles but a different dealer told me last week that its normal, so who knows.

FYI, my truck is under extended warranty and they replaced the steering shaft for $0! (No deductible either)

If you want to fix the steering wheel clunk yourself, here's a link to a quick fix, without replacing any parts. It worked for me. (There's also some funny stuff in the post!) The "fix" periodically has to be done again. It lasted about a year for me. I have very little time to leave the truck at the dealer. Good luck!

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...45&hl=clunk

I hear that "grinding" noise too from the front end when Im turning at very slow speeds. I think its my bearings cause when I put the lowering spindles on I had to spray so much rust penetrator in there they were completely trashed when I was done. I will replace them eventually I guess even though it doesnt bother me much. I do want to see if it helps my gas mileage though- from the rotational resistance it causes...