Obx Lt Headers

silverado777

I put my obx LT headers and they were a big pain in a$$!!! They said that they were complete bolt on with no modification but what they forgot to tell you is that you have to take every bolt off the truck to get them on!!! The drivers side was easy but the passenger side was a pain! The intake, spark plugs, coil packs, oil filler tube, starter, transmission lines, and AC compressor had to come off so that the header could go on. The transmission crossmember had to come out to get the old Y pipe out and the new one in. The new Y pipe was hitting the transmission cross member in 2 places. Also, the kit comes with 6 bung holes for O2 sensors. As we all know silverados only have 4 O2 sensors. So you have to get plugs for them. I found out that my local hardware store did not carry the size bolt I needed to fit the bung holes. The new headers and Y pipe push the cat back exhaust 2in back; just enough so the stock hangers wouldn't work. The kit comes with cheap clamps that leak like crazy!! So all in all I had to take it to an exhaust shop that would modify the Y pipe, fill the bung holes, weld the seams where that clamps were, fix my exhaust hangers. Cost me an extra $200. If I knew all this was part of the install I might have turned else where. However, it does sound nice and I do notice a bit of difference. Its been raining so I can't really tell. We will see next time I got to the track. Keep in mind I do Have a 5.3L and not a 6.0L, so the install might be a little different.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to tell you that you are the first person to have these woes. Not to sound like a prick, but had you searched the obx htreads on this board, you would have noticed you can put them on from underneath and did not have to remove anything that you did. The transmission cross member is a first as well. I know when you get under the truck and into a project like this, you dont always see the easiest way, ive been there myself before. But out of another dozen installs of obx LT's, no one has had to remove the ac lines, coil packs, ac compressor, or crossmember...spark plugs are always a good idea to remove because you dont want to drop the header on them accidentally and snap the porcelain.

Also, as far as the plugs, there are plugs you can order from summit for like $10 that fit perfectly. The bands might be alittle cheap, but if used right, they will work.

Glad to hear you notice a difference and like them otherwise...i think they are a fine product for the money. Pace setters and dynatechs (your only other two real options for the most part) would have given you the same headaches.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I put my obx LT headers and they were a big pain in a$$!!! They said that they were complete bolt on with no modification but what they forgot to tell you is that you have to take every bolt off the truck to get them on!!! The drivers side was easy but the passenger side was a pain! The intake, spark plugs, coil packs, oil filler tube, starter, transmission lines, and AC compressor had to come off so that the header could go on. The transmission crossmember had to come out to get the old Y pipe out and the new one in. The new Y pipe was hitting the transmission cross member in 2 places. Also, the kit comes with 6 bung holes for O2 sensors. As we all know silverados only have 4 O2 sensors. So you have to get plugs for them. I found out that my local hardware store did not carry the size bolt I needed to fit the bung holes. The new headers and Y pipe push the cat back exhaust 2in back; just enough so the stock hangers wouldn't work. The kit comes with cheap clamps that leak like crazy!! So all in all I had to take it to an exhaust shop that would modify the Y pipe, fill the bung holes, weld the seams where that clamps were, fix my exhaust hangers. Cost me an extra $200. If I knew all this was part of the install I might have turned else where. However, it does sound nice and I do notice a bit of difference. Its been raining so I can't really tell. We will see next time I got to the track. Keep in mind I do Have a 5.3L and not a 6.0L, so the install might be a little different.

You know that you need to wrap your spark plug wires too right? If not, the headers will melt them.

The search button is your friend, use it! :thumbs:

The stock plug wires are a tad short, and once you put the OBX (Old Style Dynatech's) LT's on the stock wires will rub on the headers and eventually melt them. So you can either wrap the wires in a heat or insulator wrap, or get longer plug wires so they don't touch the headers (some may still need to be wrapped though). When the headers are ceramic coated it helps also.

wow...my obx dropped right in....I did have some leaks at the clamps but they are by no means cheap ones. They are the best i could find. It really is a bolt and go system. I used a oil plug with a crush washer to seal the extra bungs and it worked great. Sorry you had trouble but putting them in from underneath the truck is the only way to go.

Brad

Of course I paid alot for them, but then again...you get what you pay for IMO.

Dynatech = OBX. Same design...same install...same quality. This is a case of inexperience with installing headers on a silverado ss, that is all. I would put the obx up against the dynatechs all day any day as far as quality and performance. dynatech charges what they charge because we drive expensive vehiclesn and they have an extensive marketing campaign, not because you get something special. If you get what you pay for, why dont you take a higher interest rate on your mortgage? Because a 30yr fixed is a 30yr fixed and you might as well save some money.

Dynatech = OBX. Same design...same install...same quality. This is a case of inexperience with installing headers on a silverado ss, that is all. I would put the obx up against the dynatechs all day any day as far as quality and performance. dynatech charges what they charge because we drive expensive vehiclesn and they have an extensive marketing campaign, not because you get something special. If you get what you pay for, why dont you take a higher interest rate on your mortgage? Because a 30yr fixed is a 30yr fixed and you might as well save some money.

i bought the new style Dynatechs and love them. I took off the passenger side tire and wheel well which made the install very easy. I haven't seen teh OBX's so I really can't comment on them. I now the dynatechs quality is outstanding and I believe you get what you pay for generally speaking.

B

Not quite. Dynatech's headers for our trucks are completely re-done. The OBX's are simply the old version of the Dynatechs. When companies like Dynatech scrap an older system to develop a new system as is our case, low-end companies like OBX buy the rights to produce the obsolete product. When they do this, the materials used are not as good as the original, nor is the craftsmanship.

In my opinion, people pay more for the Dynatech's because they can be bolted right up to the rest of your stock/cat-back exhaust system, while other LT headers require modification in order to fit. While I do think the OBX's are a good alternative, they still require some modifications (Jet Coating, extended plug wires, or wrapped plug wires).

Well the OBX has excellent quality which has been verified by everyone who has purchased them held them in their hands, and seen them on the truck. I guarntee the dynatechs dont produce 1hp more than the OBX and cost almost 3 times as much. I can not justify $700-800 more to avoid melting a plug wire that can be remedied for about $20-50. Everyone has their opinion and hey...if you like blowing your money...knock yourself out. We're not comparing a $69 ebay electric supercharger to a radix kit. Heck, the OBX are even better quality than the pace setters i have. And the OBX are direct bolt on as well. Old design, new design...still makes the same power. And dynatech sold that "old" design for what? 3, 4years? And thousands laid down $1,500 for that "old" design that you refer to as inferior.

Well the OBX has excellent quality which has been verified by everyone who has purchased them held them in their hands, and seen them on the truck. I guarntee the dynatechs dont produce 1hp more than the OBX and cost almost 3 times as much. I can not justify $700-800 more to avoid melting a plug wire that can be remedied for about $20-50. Everyone has their opinion and hey...if you like blowing your money...knock yourself out. We're not comparing a $69 ebay electric supercharger to a radix kit. Heck, the OBX are even better quality than the pace setters i have. And the OBX are direct bolt on as well. Old design, new design...still makes the same power. And dynatech sold that "old" design for what? 3, 4years? And thousands laid down $1,500 for that "old" design that you refer to as inferior.

To each and their own. I wasn't trying to start anything, simply stating the facts. Whether they have more HP, who knows. I would doubt that Dynatech would completely redesign a set of headers purely for fitting issues. I am actually going to email them to find out, because I am currently stuck between getting OBX or Dynatechs. I do not mind spending the extra money in the first place, but I do want a product that is going to last. I'll see what they say in the email.

Teddy

Oh...your not starting anything by any means. I'm just giving you a good debate...and even now have you thinking things through. The only real difference between the dynatechs and OBX is the cats with OBX are hollow and not 50 state legal. You wont pass emissions sniffer testing with them. Other than that...thats it. I ordered a set of OBX, have installed dynatechs, and own pace setters. I sold the OBX because of financial reasons.

... The only real difference between the dynatechs and OBX is the cats with OBX are hollow ...

Well that and the fact the OBX are made with piss-poor steel and you need to spend extra to have them coated or they'll rot on you; the biggest reason the Dynatechs are as expensive as they are is the fact they are made of 304 stainless, the material is very costly and the processes required to weld it correctly also require far more expensive welders (TIG) and welding operators (TIG certified), so the labor is much higher as well.

Mr. P.