STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS

SPEEDCRAVIN

Hey Speed, may want to bring your findings this Saturday. Might have some interest in that...cant wait to here it. ;)

:cheers: WILL DO. Im looking foward to it all! I spoke to Joe at Jag performance today and he is coming down with Allen, so we will have the tranny espert there too!!

Thanks for the pictures. Can you explain what view is in the pictures? (ex. -bottom rear cut open) By looking at the pics, explain how exhaust flows.

My first thought was to cut open the can, then add a 3" pipe upstream to go along with the existing single 2.5" pipe. Then modify the dummy chamber with a short 2.5" pipe to open up its flow. I may try it, but it looks like its going to take some time to complete.

Anyone near the DFW area have a SS muffler they removed? I'd like to work on the muffler without making my truck inoperable until the work is finalized.

Speedcravin - I think the pics show what I need. If I need to look at your guts, I can get with you next week sometimg. Don't worry about bringing them to the tuning meet.

OK, looking at your pics:

Is the blocked off pipe the rusty colored stump on the upper right hand side of the shot?

muf.jpg

It appears the left hand outlet gets its feed air from that long 2.5" pipe that goes all the way to the front of the muffler, is this right?

mufler.jpg

OR, does the Left outlet in the first pic just dead end into the chamber there, and the long 2.5" internal pipe feed the exhaust gas from the front chamber? That long pipe has the appearance of opening up in that last chamber, but it could go all the way out the back.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the pics scandore...

BigTex, I think the first pic shows what we're after. Here's my take on it:

The two open tubes in the bottom of the pic are the dual exhaust inlet pipes that dump into the center chamber of the muffler. Then the exhaust gases flow through the perforated baffle and the smaller pipe (hiding behind lower left inlet pipe) backwards into the first chamber (not visible in pics). Finally, the exhaust gases pass through the long rusty tube from the first chamber and out to the Y-pipe. The top chamber in the pic would be the resonator chamber that is only connected to the Y-pipe through the second "exit pipe" on the muffler.

Does this seem right?

Thanks for the pics scandore...

BigTex, I think the first pic shows what we're after. Here's my take on it:

The two open tubes in the bottom of the pic are the dual exhaust inlet pipes that dump into the center chamber of the muffler. Then the exhaust gases flow through the perforated baffle and the smaller pipe (hiding behind lower left inlet pipe) backwards into the first chamber (not visible in pics). Finally, the exhaust gases pass through the long rusty tube from the first chamber and out to the Y-pipe. The top chamber in the pic would be the resonator chamber that is only connected to the Y-pipe through the second "exit pipe" on the muffler.

Does this seem right?

:withstupid: , that's how it would seem to work.

Possible plan: Cutting off tailpipe. Completely opening up that dummy outlet. Once I have access to that last chamber, I'll put a few 1" holes using a 1" drill bit or hole saw through one of the exit holes. These newly cut holes would be spaced randomly along the third chamber wall, to allow flow into that last chamber, but hopefully not allowing too much resonation. This would let airflow into the final chamber, and unplug the second outlet. Probably not as efficient as a high-dollar aftermarket muffler, but its free. If I don't like it, I'll just spend the money.

Going this route, I don't have to pull off the catback from the truck, no major cutting and welding of the outside case needed, and airflow volume should increase.

Thoughts?

Hey BIGTEX doing all the work that your talking about, *What is it that you would like to gain?** If it is sound, I dont think you will have much change, If it is to flow better, *Why not just take it all out like I did, it sounds great and i did feal an increase?

Archived