Winter Bed Weight

gixxerrider

Yup you'd be surprised what a few hundred pounds will do for traction. Remember to have a full tank of gas too, the difference between full and empty is 100+ lbs. We would always throw a few bales of hay in the back of our truck beds. Gotta have good tires too, the factory Goodyears are so bad in the wet they are dangerous.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I think its pretty sweet but I wouldnt spend that much money for it, that and when or if the water freezes your not going to be able to take it out if you need to. Your better off getting sand or salt or something in that you can take out easy, that and being alot cheaper.

I have two old tires that I put wood slats in the bottom of one side and filled them with concrete. They way between 250 to 300 pounds each and are a real PITA to get in the bed. I use a motorcycle ramp on the curb and "roll" it up the ramp. It is still a pretty good workout.

The rubber makes them not slide around, but I imagine if you ever had to hit the brakes hard it wouldn't be too good for the back of the cab.

I actually made those tires when I drove an '83 Chevy 4X4 with a long bed. It was all restored, but it did not get ANY traction with the open rear diff unless it was in 4X4. The new truck actually had a pretty decent weight distribution, putting more weight on the rear wheels. Plus I have the locking rear diff.

If anyone wants the tires, you can have them for free, but you have to pay shipping LOL :) I am going to throw them out, but they are so damn heavy the task hasn't seemed very appealing.

Mike

I used to have a frame of 2x4's across the bed. One in front and behind of the fenders and attached to each other up against the fenders. I would then put in 4 bags of quickrete sand. Always stayed right over the axle.

Get the Shur-Trax system, definitely worth the money. No projectiles to bang your bed up, its low profile like 3-4 inches tall, its freezable, and you can put up to 500lbs on top of it. I have it and I had 0 traction problems with a RWD truck last winter, and we had some bad snow/ice storms last year. The only down side is that with the 400lbs of weight in the bed, I lost 1mpg and the truck rode a little more rough than usual(the back of the truck came down 2 inches or so with the added weight), but its worth it to travel safely in winter weather. :chevy:

When I had a compact truck, I used 3 railroad ties, cut to the width of the bed, with 2 metal straps across the top, screwed into each tie, to hold them together. They were positioned to the rear of the wheel wells, which held the whole thing in place. It worked well for me, and didn't cost very much.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

if you were awd id tell you to save money.... alot of people in alaska use sandbags... or if you have an old cooler fill it full of water let it freeze thats an easy way to gain weight if it stays cold there long enough... just use ur head and think what will add weight that i dont care about??