Tranny issues......

:cry: My tranny is slipping badly recently so I guess it is done for good except normal driving :cry: The :devil: inside me wants to hammer it down but I haven't gotten a confirmed date on my new FLP level 5 tranny yet. I guess no races for me even if a dodge or ford pulls up I'll just have to take the intimidation :cry:

Well I got everything on at 3100 miles and now its at 3800 miles 700 miles DAMN that was quick.

Hell yeah that was quick, but it happens to us all eventually. Happened to about a month ago. It really sucks when someone wants to race and you now you could take them, but you cant because of the tranny issues. Should be sweet though when you get the FLP tranny in it. How much does the level 5 FLP cost?

Boy do I feel lucky. No shift kit or bigger cooler for either of you either, huh? How about synthetic fluid? Do you guys constantly monitor tranny temps? I've had mine now for 4k miles and beat on it pretty hard.

What indications did you get that it was slipping? No shift, or not shifting properly? Monitored with EFIlive? Have you checked fluid levels?

I just can't see your tranny going after 700 miles. If it has, I would think that it wasn't even s-chgr related. You just haven't hit it hard and long enough with that thing yet.

I'm a young kid what do you expect. It will rev up higher than normal and come down then shift.......slipping. Plus Im in really cold weather so I basically getting ice cold air so maximum HP. Plus I've been past 120 twice and plenty of 40mph downshifts are a killer on the trans.

Have you replaced...upgraded your tranny? Or are you still babying it?

For now Ive been babying it, but on friday Im having the shift kit and the tt 3000 installed.

Ben,

My tranny didn't really go its just had a really long 1-2 shift (longer than usual, reved over 6000 rpm's) one time when I was hitting it and it just seemed like it was slipping a little. Didn't want to chance anything so Ive been babying it ever since. At that time though I had already put almost 4,000 miles on it with the supercharger.

I'm a young kid what do you expect. It will rev up higher than normal and come down then shift.......slipping. Plus Im in really cold weather so I basically getting ice cold air so maximum HP. Plus I've been past 120 twice and plenty of 40mph downshifts are a killer on the trans.

If in fact, you have killed your stock tranny in 700 miles, be sure to order 2 from FLP. If you can kill the stock one that fast, and with some of the stuff you're doing, then even the FLP tranny is going to let go after a while also.

Ok I just went out and let my truck idle for ten min and check the fluid and it was not even to the marks and it was clean then at the marks there was fluid. DONT UNDERSTAND maybe not hot enough. They I was observing the engine and I'm getting tons of knock. SOund like its comming from the SC because I took a wood pole to it and doesnt sound like its coming from near the engine more from top sc near intake pulley.

Lets get things straight here. A my tranny is 100% complete stock. Ben Yours has a shift kit and servo so you have two up On my already. After I get my FLP5,or something similar I will be good to go. The stock tranny alone just can't handle this much power. What high 400 low 500 hp on a stock silverado tranny I knew it wouldn't last long.

I don't know what they do in the Radix programming, but I doubt they turn off many, if any, of the PCM diagnostics. I think the PCM would set an SES code if the transmission was slipping too much - there are several tests in there for trans slippage, line pressure, converter slip, etc.. I would think you'd get a code if there was a serious problem. :confused:

I have experienced undesired over-revving on the 1-2 shift a few times. From my EFILive log I noticed that it over revved when (from a stop or slow roll) I gradually increased the throttle position to 100%. This did not happen when I jam the throttle all the way down. I think this is because the some of the shift programming is based on throttle position, as is the activation of power enrichment mode. Don't know if this applies to you, but thought I'd share about the over revving.

If you haven't paid for a new tranny yet, you might consider just building yours up like the other guys are doing. If you get a shop to do it, they can check and make sure everything is ok in there first. Then you can do shift kit, converter, servos, and maybe a hardened reaction shell - for probably less than that level 5 and installed. Just a thought. I'll probably get a shift kit/corvette servo/converter this summer. That should work nicely until some big power adders come along...

The stock trans definitely shifts slow and soft. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. :)

Ok I talked to the Tranny expert at my dealership and he said the 2004 ss came with the upgraded Trannys just like the FLP 5 tranny only difference I can do is Shift kit,converter and servo and maybe a sunshell thats it. Maybe thats all I need to do.

Archived