Big D tuning Update

sundowner

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg, I think both would be cool yours may take a little longer to finalize due to the finacial commitment. Besides you normally have much better weather down there in the winter months. I bet the track is cheaper to rent then also.

Another thought is you could possibly get a sponsorship from the local chevy dealers or even GM corporate to defray some of the costs. Your idea could turn into something really big maybe even an annual/national event.

I think it would be cool to hit either a road course or oval. But if the intention is for us to get out on it, then I don't think it's a good idea. It would be fun, I'm sure. The amount of danger that would exist though to the individual, as well as the vehicles, is too much. I would say keep it to a drag strip location or you're inviting too many potential problems and danger. Unless of course, these locales have a dragstrip within? Just my feelings.

P.S. On a sad note, I have been persuaded to set up a charity fund. It has been dubbed "GOOJ" For all that have a soft heart for a fellow SSer, please forward any monies you can. Anything is appreciated. You may email me for Info.

For those that don't know already...GOOJ stands for "GREGS OUT OF JAIL" fund :jester:

i got 5 on it... :thumbs::jester:

Another thought is you could possibly get a sponsorship from the local chevy dealers or even GM corporate to defray some of the costs. Your idea could turn into something really big maybe even an annual/national event.

I agree, I don't want to sound cheap, but if I had to pay $100.00 (7000/75=93.33) just to get in the gate to hang out with other SS people I would be a no show.

Although hanging out at a Oval or Roadcourse would be fun, I also agree with BenKey, it seems 99% of the SS owners want to drive a 1/4 mile at a time in a straight line and not around in circles.

But I would like to see a huge event for the SS Silverado and I appreciate anyone that would take the time to set it up, so don't take my thougts in the wrong way.

Hey Guys,

I am working on next event already. My thought is to plan about a year out or less and get about 75-200 trucks and rent Texas Motor Speedway. I have found out that we can rent Oval for about 7000 per day or road course for about 4000 per day. this includes emergency crews and vendors will be open for us. we can bring coolers/food also. I will have final info and start new thread to get input on interest.

BTW...enjoyed having ya'll and your welcome. :cool:

Hey Greg, any idea how much it costs to rent the Texas Motorplex in Ennis? I bet less than the speedway. That sure would be nice for tuning sessions... do some tuning, then a couple of 1/4-mile runs, then tweak the tune some more. :D

I could check on how much it would cost to rent the 1/4 mile track here too.

We just have to remember that the cost to have exclusive use of a track is gonna be steep especially on a Sat. The more attendees the lower the cost for each of us.

we could also do the event in conjunction with ls1tech or another forum, it would make things cheaper and we would always limit the entry to a certain number of people...that way we would see some other chevy poducts as well...

just an idea to offset some of the costs..and include more people...

I appreciate everyone's input. I think after consideration of all that drag strip may be best (specially for us drunkards :jester: ). Anyways, Bser, why don't you check out strip up there. I like the idea of having your shop for tranny work, etc. and the idea of fun downtown area. Really like the idea of dealer sponsors. May want to check w/local dealer and see what they may want from us (as far as number of people). May get it on radio through them. (this is getting really big).

As far as ls1 people, I would like to see if we can get enough interest for just ss'ers first. Hell, if we plan far enough out, we may get track for a thursday and have everyone be able to plan to take a couple of days off. Just my thoughts.

Bser, you have my number...call and we'll discuss after a few more comments come in.

How about starting a new thread about it? Just thinking out loud. I think it would be more important for it to be a place for the majority of the people to come. At least if you want it to be as big as you mention. I would start a poll for the location and pick a few different states. A list something along the lines of:

Kansas

Oklahoma

Missouri

Kentucky

Tennessee

Arkansas

Texas

Based on the poll for where everyone is located it seems to me that the majority of the members are in the SE/SC area. Maybe I looked at it wrong.

start another thread though in the off topic/general area.

Just a suggestion.

The main reason for doing it in Dallas or Wichita is that they are centraly located and we have a group of guys we already know will attend.

And the biggie is we have someone in both locations that can host and coordinate the event. We also have a relationship with Nelson Performance for custom tunes and Jag performance for shift kits and other trans work. We know these guys and the quality of their work.

There will eventually be meets on the East and West coasts; soon probably. But we already have a start here in the central U.S. and I would like to see us build on it.

If we have it in Wichita we could draw people from Dallas, Kansas City, Oklhoma City, Denver, St Louis, Omaha and everthing in between. I think we even have one that would come down from Chicago.

What do you guys that met with us in Dallas think?

Archived