Skunk

SuperDave

Merry Christmas everyone,

On my way home from Christmas Dinner this evening I hit a huge skunk in the SS. I drove it to the car wash is spent 5 minutes on the undercarriage and passenger side wheel well (where I hit it) but now the damn thing is stinking up my garage and whole house!

What the hell takes the stink away? Other than putting the SS out in the cold? It's only got 17K on it and has never spent a night in the weather, so that's not an option! I've heard about using tomato juice, but is that practical?

Help if you've experienced this!

Thanks

Edited by SuperDave (see edit history)

How To Remove Skunk Smell Skunks spray a strong smelling fluid from a gland under their tail. It is a defense mechanism to repel would-be attackers. It adheres where sprayed and can last for many days. The spray is not easily washed away and instead must be neutralized.

Washing or bathing in tomato juice to remove skunk smell is a popular myth. It does have a small neutralizing effect, but is really more likely to leave one smelling of skunk AND tomato juice.

The following recipe is effective at neutralizing skunk odor and can be used on people, pets, tires or any object that has been sprayed by a skunk. Note however, that it contains hydrogen peroxide and can cause skin, eye and mucous membrane irritation. Peroxide can also cause fading or damage to clothing, carpet, paint and so on. If you are concerned about the possibility of damage, test it on an inconspicuous portion of the material. Thorough rinsing with water will help to minimize any fading or damage.

Mix together:

One quart 3% hydrogen peroxide*

¼ cup baking soda

one teaspoon liquid dish soap

* white vinegar can be substituted, but it is not as effective

Edited by WODY'S GIRL (see edit history)

How To Remove Skunk Smell Skunks spray a strong smelling fluid from a gland under their tail. It is a defense mechanism to repel would-be attackers. It adheres where sprayed and can last for many days. The spray is not easily washed away and instead must be neutralized.

Washing or bathing in tomato juice to remove skunk smell is a popular myth. It does have a small neutralizing effect, but is really more likely to leave one smelling of skunk AND tomato juice.

The following recipe is effective at neutralizing skunk odor and can be used on people, pets, tires or any object that has been sprayed by a skunk. Note however, that it contains hydrogen peroxide and can cause skin, eye and mucous membrane irritation. Peroxide can also cause fading or damage to clothing, carpet, paint and so on. If you are concerned about the possibility of damage, test it on an inconspicuous portion of the material. Thorough rinsing with water will help to minimize any fading or damage.

Mix together:

One quart 3% hydrogen peroxide*

¼ cup baking soda

Thanks for the reply, but will a quart of this goop cover the entire underside of my SS?

one teaspoon liquid dish soap

* white vinegar can be substituted, but it is not as effective

Go to your local veterinarian. They have some stuff don't remember the name. Comes in a small spray bottle. Does a pretty good job. Pet supply stores also carry it. Worked pretty good with our dog. Other than that---time. It will wear off, just takes a week or so. Good luck.

That sucks man, hope the smell goes away soon. When I like 10 years old, I saw a skunk and decided that it would be a good idea to hit it with a 2X4 after it sprayed my dog. I chased it down and swung that 2X4 as hard as I could. He went up on his front legs and avoided being hit, but he countered my attack with his own. He sprayed me good. I ran home and found the front door was locked, the back door was locked too. My mom had locked me out. She sent out everything she could think of to get the smell off of me. I didn't get to go back inside for at least a week. Its a funny story that gets passed around at family gatherings every single time we get together.