Replaced Front Carrier Assembly (axle)

Well a thank you to Posi12Bolt who came through on a good used front carrier assembly, and another thank you to Ms. IH82W8 who kept me company under the truck and lent a helping hand.

The job turned out to not be all that hard, the "gotcha" was the discovery that you have to undo the steering center link to make enough room to get the axle into & out of the truck; I was able to undo the steering arm and that was just enough to allow the unit to pass through but it was a fight. The carrier assembly weighs just under 90-lbs so I decided to not use a jack, just bench-press that biatch into place :rolleyes: and Ms. IH82W8 put the top pin in place so I didn't crush my skull :cheers:

My front carrier was SHOT, there is a gross amount of backlash in the pinion. The truck now drives like new, the difference was very dramatic.

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're very welcome, Steven. I tried to help out where I could. :chevy:

And I'm sorry I didn't snap any pics for you guys. Steve reminded me half way through the procedure.

You must be happy to have the SSS whole again Steve. Sounds like the creeper board got a work out. :crackup:

Haha yea Steve gave the creeper board a good work out - it was too tight underneath the truck for two people on one creeper board anyways :P:jester: lol. The creeper board ate my hair as I rolled around on it even though my hair was back in a braid - it got caught in the wheel. Next time I'll wear a hair net. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear its back Steve...are we going to see the truck at the Lewisville meet? You should've had Ms. IH82W8 bench press that up for you, lol...

Maybe if it was 60 lbs I could, but 90 I'd have to do with my legs and there wasn't enough room under there for that. All in all the job got done! You should have seen the big grin on Steve's face when he took it for a test drive lol :D